• Epic

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Origin

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters

Einherjar86

Jan 15, 2008
The Ivory Tower
Just wondering what the general consensus is. From what I've read on this forum, there's some dissention among the masses. So what is the best Borknagar album?

It's called Quintessence for a reason.

Haha, yes; Vintersorg had some big boots to fill when he came in. I love Empiricism too; it has the Quintessence melodies, but it lacks its heaviness and bombast. Quintessence is the essential Borknagar record, in my opinion. I'd also suggest The Olden Domain to those who want a bit of a harsher sound; it's a great record.

You can't be serious about Quintessence. If there ever was an album ruined by production, that's gotta be it. Borknagar or The Olden Domain are better from their earlier stuff and Empiricism is better too.

But I surprised myself and voted for Origin (I bet I'm the only one who does!). I just really enjoy the tranquil feeling and it is more consistent than their other albums.

You can't be serious about Quintessence. If there ever was an album ruined by production, that's gotta be it. Borknagar or The Olden Domain are better from their earlier stuff and Empiricism is better too.

But I surprised myself and voted for Origin (I bet I'm the only one who does!). I just really enjoy the tranquil feeling and it is more consistent than their other albums.

I think the production value on Empiricism is worse than Quintessence; the bass is less evident, and it's not as heavy. To be honest, I don't see anything wrong with the production on Quintessence, so I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Vintersorg didn't sing on Quintessence.

I think the vocals on Quintessence are executed flawlessly, and if indeed they do "shudder," I think it adds to the ambience of the record. And the reason Empiricism doesn't sound as heavy is because the bass is less present, which annoys me slightly. On Quintessence the bass is much louder.

The aesthetics of the ear differ between us, I think.

Sorry I meant Vortex.

Btw I meant I shuddered when listening to the vocals, not that the vocals themselves shudder! It just sounds like crappy digital effects to me.

Though I should add it is a very well written album

I never implied that. Black Metal can have whatever kind of production depending on the style they play and it will appeal to a good deal of people.

I've heard most of Quintessence, it has some good songs on it, but I want to try and get me the early albums that Garm sings on.

I've heard most of Quintessence, it has some good songs on it, but I want to try and get me the early albums that Garm sings on.

The self-titled release is good, but I enjoy The Olden Domain more. I think it's because of the subject matter... but still, it's an awesome record.