Poor decisions made (in metal):

ashaman7122

Crazy on a ship of fools
Dec 11, 2002
This discussion frequently comes up (amongst the few metal-educated people I banter with), and it always spurs hilarious conversations...so I put it to the PPUSA masses...

What are some of the poorest decisions made in metal? Discuss...debate.

First obvious one that usually comes up? Bruce Dickinson leaving Iron Maiden. Or...maybe it should be Iron Maiden ALLOWING Bruce to fly the coop?

Crimson Glory - Strange & Beautiful

I wanna say Iron Maiden's recording engineer & A Matter of Life & Death. The opening 4 minutes or so of the first track on Final Frontier as well.

Metallica - St Anger... & Rick Rubin.. i think thats the guys name right?

To be continued

I actually like the Blaze era Maiden albums, Virtual XI in particular. I personally rank that as the #4 Maiden album behind Number of the Beast, Powerslave, and Piece of Mind.

As for mistakes:

Ozzy hiring Zakk Wylde. There isn't even one post Jake E. Lee album I care to listen to.

The Tarja / Nightwish split.

I was thinking, you know, Bruce leaving maiden was a good thing. No love for Blaze, But a lot of BD's solo work is awesome ass hell. Way more awesome than virtually any 90's maiden, anyway. Accident of Birth, Skunkworks, Chemical Wedding...great stuff.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Portnoy yet.

Others off the top of my head:
  • Dio leaving Rainbow [that is, Blackmore driving Dio away; Dio did fine, but Rainbow not so much]
  • Blackmore forming a band with his girlfriend and hiring her mom as manager
  • Malmsteen doing non-instrumentals
  • Minoru Niihara singing in english

Malmsteen not retiring in the early 2000s.
Queensryche not retiring in the mid 90s.
Metallica not retiring in the late 90s.

The one that still rankles me:

Anthrax setting John Bush to the side to reunion-ize with Joey Belladonna...thus killing all the momentum they had going with We've Come For You All.

I was thinking, you know, Bruce leaving maiden was a good thing. No love for Blaze, But a lot of BD's solo work is awesome ass hell. Way more awesome than virtually any 90's maiden, anyway. Accident of Birth, Skunkworks, Chemical Wedding...great stuff.

Very true...good argument for Bruce...bad for Maiden. I know there are the Blaze-era fans out there, but I guess it's safe to say it's not a big group?

Crimson Glory - Strange & Beautiful

I liked S&B from the start, although it was a big shock of a change in sound coming off the first two. The vocal melodies just really grabbed me, and I thought Midnight really showcased himself on that one. Also, I just dug the tunes and overall vibe to the thing. Amongst my friends, however, I was definitely in the minority on that one!

I don't know about the mom part, but I like Blackmore's Night...

Blackmore's Night always calls to mind DP's "No One Came".... For what BN is, it's alright -- Ritchie is one of the best guitarists of his generation, and it still shows. But compared to what I wish he'd done with his career, it's hugely disappointing. The last incarnation of Rainbow was quite good, and I wish he'd done more work with Doogie White.

John West leaving Royal Hunt
Lance King Leaving Pyramaze
Kamelot not hiring Tommy Karevick on the spot after his first show witth them
Trition Cruise

Dio leaving Rainbow [that is, Blackmore driving Dio away; Dio did fine, but Rainbow not so much]

Didn't Rainbow have most of their hits after Dio left?

Anthrax setting John Bush to the side to reunion-ize with Joey Belladonna...thus killing all the momentum they had going with We've Come For You All.

I thought the issue with John Bush was that he didn't want to tour.

As for my addition: the split between Sammy Hagar and Eddie Van Halen, which probably lead to Michael Anthony getting kicked out of the band.

Dio leaving Rainbow [that is, Blackmore driving Dio away; Dio did fine, but Rainbow not so much]

Didn't Rainbow have most of their hits after Dio left?

Exactly. They changed from a prog metal band to AOR, and while I'm sure those albums with Bonnet and Turner made more money, musically they're not nearly as strong. IMHO.

Minoru Niihara singing in english

We wouldn't even know who Loudness was otherwise.

Rock and Roll Crazy Nights are only...hours...away!

Loudness had a pretty decent west coast following when Disillusion came out. I can't stand the english language version of Disillusion, and it's been years since I listened to the studio albums that followed it. I think they could still have been a viable draw had they kept with Japanese lyrics. (But then again, I am a fan of the genre, so I no doubt am biased.)

I love them live, though, and am jealous of those who live close enough to see them on this tour.