Poor decisions made (in metal):

Exactly. They changed from a prog metal band to AOR, and while I'm sure those albums with Bonnet and Turner made more money, musically they're not nearly as strong. IMHO.

Loudness had a pretty decent west coast following when Disillusion came out. I can't stand the english language version of Disillusion, and it's been years since I listened to the studio albums that followed it. I think they could still have been a viable draw had they kept with Japanese lyrics. (But then again, I am a fan of the genre, so I no doubt am biased.)

I love them live, though, and am jealous of those who live close enough to see them on this tour.

Rainbow a prog metal band???? That's one memo I seriously missed.

I actually like the Blaze era Maiden albums, Virtual XI in particular. I personally rank that as the #4 Maiden album behind Number of the Beast, Powerslave, and Piece of Mind.

As for mistakes:

Ozzy hiring Zakk Wylde. There isn't even one post Jake E. Lee album I care to listen to.

The Tarja / Nightwish split.

You know I actually like NRftW, as far as the guitar, but I HATE everything else afterward. I saw Ozzy on that tour as well...... and zack sounded absolutely incredible. Having said that, can I repeat I absolutely HATE everything after that.

Bryant

When Metal Church parted ways (actually disbanded too) with Mike Howe was a terrible moment for metal for me. I was devastated.

When Vivian Campbell left Dio really changed things for both of them as well. I still love post Viv Dio, but it was not the same.

Bryant

When Metal Church parted ways (actually disbanded too) with Mike Howe was a terrible moment for metal for me. I was devastated.

When Vivian Campbell left Dio really changed things for both of them as well. I still love post Viv Dio, but it was not the same.

Bryant

Agreed on the Viv all the way...but man...what a lot of bad blood there.

Mike Howe era MC...what a glorious time for metal...good call!

Here's another one I always chuckle at: Marty Friedman leaving Megadeth to do...well, basically...nothing.

First obvious one that usually comes up? Bruce Dickinson leaving Iron Maiden. Or...maybe it should be Iron Maiden ALLOWING Bruce to fly the coop?

Actually, the poorer decision for Iron Maiden was the double whammy of letting Adrian Smith go his own way and do the forgettable A.S.a.P. and Psycho Motel experiments while trying to replace him with Janick Gers. :loco:

(But yeah, Blaze was a bad decision, too)

I was thinking, you know, Bruce leaving maiden was a good thing. No love for Blaze, But a lot of BD's solo work is awesome ass hell. Way more awesome than virtually any 90's maiden, anyway. Accident of Birth, Skunkworks, Chemical Wedding...great stuff.

Agreed.

Eh. I don't agree with all the Wylde hate. While certainly I think the Ozzy stuff in the 2000s with Zakk is sub-par, I do like NRftW, No More Tears and my favorite of the 90s albums Ozzmosis. I also do agree with Ozzy's reasoning in getting rid of Zakk. As much as I love BLS, Ozzy albums shouldn't sound like BLS.

Scorpions - The first few albums (especially In Trance) are great then they sold out pretty bad.

Well, certainly I agree those early albums were their best, I wouldn't say the others were bad. In fact, most range from pretty good to great. They only made 3 bad albums - Savage Amusement, Pure Instinct and the embarrassing Eye II Eye.

I don't know so much about this being a "decision" but for Iommi to give up the name Black Sabbath seems pretty wrong.

Bad, BAD decision...you can only hope that Sharon coughed up a bunch of dough. Poor Tony...he held on so long...