Pop-Punk Master... Why do my vocals suck?

jacobpo2

New Metal Member
Dec 25, 2011
I did this song for a band completely in my dorm, minus the vocals being done at the studio at my college. I am "satisfied" with the mix, but I hate the vocals. They sound very small compared to the rest of the mix, and I have had no prior experience mixing vocals because until now I have not been recording full bands. I recorded the vocals with a u87 through an Audient ASP008 into Pro Tools HD, so I know the vocals have the potential to sound great! He was a great vocalist too so I think I must have messed something up when i was mixing, or maybe I just ruined it during the mastering process. I am still very new to mastering.

Please tell me what yall don't like about this mix, especially the vocals. You can be mean.

Last edited by a moderator:
sounds like it has too much in the mid range. high shelf 12k to brighten them up and make them stick out, small bump at 120 to get the man in the voice and maybe a small cut in the mid rage somewhere to take out the mud is my normal vocal eq, dont want to take too much away from his voice or it gets worse.

He sound like Cartmen or you might have do something wrong with plugins,try to putt some desser and reverb,chorus to make it bigger.Rest of mix is very good.