Porcupine Tree - The Incident

nomisofsiman

Sep 19, 2008
Wheaton, IL
So I just received and listened to the new Porcupine Tree album "The Incident" and I truly believe it is their magnum opus. A true musical journey that has just blown me away. I've probably listened to it at least five times by now. What do you guys think of it?

I seriously cannot wait to see them in concert come Tuesday. Hell yeah!!!!

I didn't much care for the album. There are a couple parts of the song that I like, but for the most part it seems like a lot of filler surrounding a few good parts. The second disc is much better, however, it pales in comparison to "Fear of a Blank Planet," "Deadwing" and "In Absentia" (duh). "The Incident" did sound much better live though, so the concert was definitely a highlight.

it wasn't terrible but nothing new. Deadwing is still a favorite of mine. i think it's become difficult for bands to keep the spark of originality going after so many albums. personally, i am just coming to a point with so many bands saying "heard it." not in a bad way per say, but just in the fact that i need to spend more time with the albums i truly love by these bands and not just buying new stuff because it's new. it's not just with PT but with plenty of bands i dig. i guess i am getting older.

I didn't much care for the album. There are a couple parts of the song that I like, but for the most part it seems like a lot of filler surrounding a few good parts. The second disc is much better, however, it pales in comparison to "Fear of a Blank Planet," "Deadwing" and "In Absentia" (duh). "The Incident" did sound much better live though, so the concert was definitely a highlight.

So far, this is also my opinion after only a couple of spins but I have yet to give it the appropriate attention. I am excited about the live show as I am seeing them Tuesday night.

I have still not digested the album properly. I guess I bought stuff at ProgPower that I'm enjoying a bit more.

So far, I like some of the stuff on it, but it hasn't hit the spot yet.

I have to say, their live performance of The Incident was pretty awesome. Overall I like the album so far, but I do need to listen to it more.

So I just received and listened to the new Porcupine Tree album "The Incident" and I truly believe it is their magnum opus. A true musical journey that has just blown me away. I've probably listened to it at least five times by now. What do you guys think of it?

I seriously cannot wait to see them in concert come Tuesday. Hell yeah!!!!

After the first 4 spins it was clear to me that this one is as good as Deadwing or FOABP. It is different and a little more ambient, but I love it just as much. Caught their show at the Nokia in LA Saturday night, but I won't spoil it for you. All I have to say is ... :OMG:

After the first 4 spins it was clear to me that this one is as good as Deadwing or FOABP. It is different and a little more ambient, but I love it just as much. Caught their show at the Nokia in LA Saturday night, but I won't spoil it for you. All I have to say is ... :OMG:
Awesome. I'll be at Terminal 5 Thursday in NYC. Anyone else?

I love The Incident, I think it's more even than, for example, In Absentia. I don't care for Circle of Manias, but other than that, it's all great. :D

The show in Chicago tonight was amazing. Sold out and packed to the rafters...

It was truly an amazing experience. One of the last major acts that I truly feel I HAVE to see live. I love the new disc and them doing the title track in its entirety was incredible. The rest of the show was damn good as well. They're perfect live.

However, and I will get shit for this for sure, I think I was more blown away by King's X on a musical standpoint. Reason being that I think King's X did more than simply play their songs and improvised a little bit. Not saying Porcupine Tree wasn't fantastic, they were, but I'm always more impressed by bands who give you more than just playing their songs, you know? I wasn't even a fan of King's X before, but now I am for sure.