Thence stream THIS WEEKEND only - for fans of Porcupine Tree, Anathema etc

pollution

Yes,they call me Aki too.
Jul 18, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
Thence released their debut album in Finland a couple of months ago and I believe quite a few people over here would really like it.

Previously they have only had a teaser trailer online and since the album consists of one 57 minute song the teaser doesn't really give it justice in my opinion. BUT this weekend their official site is streaming the whole album so do yourself a favour and check out this impressive two-man project.

Here are a couple of review quotes and links to reviews first.

Metal-rules.com (4/5 points):
"Thence´s music is kinda hard to describe in a few words only, as it meanders over different musical styles and genres freely – from rock, prog, metal, blues and even jazz music, creating a very interesting yet rewarding musical result that it makes it almost impossible to ignore the sound of curiosity knocking your head hard but gently about this lineup. What makes the band´s debut album, titled THESE STONES CRY FROM THE EARTH, even more interesting, is the fact there´s only one song on the record, clocking in at over 57-minute mark. The band explains this they did not originally intended to stretch their music the way they did eventually; it just happened that way as the music just started growing, and sort of getting expanded from one corner toward some extra corners in a natural way."

"One can find several pieces of bands like Katatonia from Thence´s sound; some others can find its Pink Floyd-ish vibes from herein whereas obviously a bunch of people are able to hear influences from Porcupine Tree, Amorphis, Riverside, Anathema, Opeth and even Dissection (does the main guitar riffs sound like a slight rip-off from Dissection´s “Starless Aeon” song? I think it does) in the sound of Thence."

Lords of Metal (82/100 points):
"Thence - for that is the name of the 'band' – are not pretentious: they have created beautiful music that is really worth listening to. Their debut album 'These Stones Cry From The Earth’ is a varied release of two multi-instrumentalists who musically completely connect . The listener is taken on a journey that leads to different destinations. You will visit places with babbling brooks, but also places where the sun never shines. You can hear rocks falling, eagles whizzing through the air. Without wanting to sound pathetic that really are the images the music of Thence evokes. A touch of Anathema, a dash of Pink Floyd, a heavy dose of Porcupine Tree topped off with a Katatonia fitting. Behold: a very nice album. "

The stream is available just this Saturday and Sunday here:
http://www.thence-ambience.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=45&Itemid=37

I believe right now Record Shop X is currently the only retailer for the CD so this is the place to order it, they are always fast and reliable with US orders too: http://www.recordshopx.com/artist/thence/these_stones_cry_from_the_earth/#cd

Kinda surprised no one checked it out yet or at least didn't comment since I can really imagine a lot of the prog people enjoying this. The whole album stream is still up for today and certainly recommended for Green Carnation: Light Of Day, Day of Darkness likers too, as there are some similarities to GC as well.

I don't know why I overlooked this thread before, or if I missed it or something, but this music is excellent. I can totally see the green carnation Light of Day, Day of Darkness comparison. I'll definitely have to pick up this album.

After all these years, a new Thence album is coming out. For those of you who liked the first one, here's a song off the new one due out this week.