Porcupine Tree - The Incident (2009)

Soundscape

Sep 16, 2002
Maplewood, MN
allmediareviews.blogspot.com
new album info.

http://tinyurl.com/lunbp4

Porcupine Tree new album
Porcupine Tree are happy to announce the forthcoming release of their tenth studio album "The Incident". The record is set to be released via Roadrunner Records worldwide on 21st September, as a double CD.

The centre-piece is the title track, which takes up the whole of the first disc. The 55-minute work is described as “a slightly surreal song cycle about beginnings and endings and the sense that ‘after this, things will never be the same again’.”

The self-produced album is completed by four standalone compositions that developed out of band writing sessions last December - Flicker, Bonnie The Cat, Black Dahlia, and Remember Me Lover feature on a separate EP length disc to stress their independence from the song cycle.
Video footage of the band in the studio working on The Incident, as well as audio previews, will be available online soon. The band will tour extensively to promote the album from mid September onwards.

Too bad they're releasing it 3 days after the concert. I guess I won't get to familiarize myself with the songs beforehand. Regardless, I'm thrilled!!

edit: SF Porcupine tree concert is Sept 18th. Maybe that'll make more sense

Too bad they're releasing it 3 days after the concert. I guess I won't get to familiarize myself with the songs beforehand. Regardless, I'm thrilled!!

edit: SF Porcupine tree concert is Sept 18th. Maybe that'll make more sense
If I remember correctly, they toured before the last release and played music from that CD at the shows. The concert was divided into two segments; first was new material and ALL cameras, phones etc. were banned to stop recordings. They took my camera battery and then gave it back for the second segment which was older, familiar tunes and hits. I'm thinking they may do something similar this time.

Really looking forward to the release, though I don't know how much longevity a 55-minute song will have in my rotation. Will probably be relegated to the Chilling Out On The Weekend time slot.

If I remember correctly, they toured before the last release and played music from that CD at the shows. The concert was divided into two segments; first was new material and ALL cameras, phones etc. were banned to stop recordings. They took my camera battery and then gave it back for the second segment which was older, familiar tunes and hits. I'm thinking they may do something similar this time.

Really looking forward to the release, though I don't know how much longevity a 55-minute song will have in my rotation. Will probably be relegated to the Chilling Out On The Weekend time slot.

Oh cool. Good info! This will be my first time seeing them live. I can't imagine the hassle it must be to take all the cameras, phones and betteries from stuff. It'd be one long intermission!

The long song will be cool for a change. Maybe it'll be as cool as Light of Day, Day of Darkness. Kinda different styles I guess, but that song is epic!

You are correct. That was actually the last time I saw them live. Great show.

Oh, I have plenty of use for a 55 minute song...

Great news! Can't wait for the tour!

As I recall, they sold out the Roxy Theater here last time, which is pretty good for a band that gets no radio airplay in this city (except for my occasional spins on WREKage). Word of mouth and the power of the Internet triumph again.

Great news! Can't wait for the tour!

As I recall, they sold out the Roxy Theater here last time, which is pretty good for a band that gets no radio airplay in this city (except for my occasional spins on WREKage). Word of mouth and the power of the Internet triumph again.

Yeah i was there it was an Awesome show.. I hope they will come back, that place was packed out the door nearly:headbang:

I'm not a big fan of 55 minute songs... most songs over the 15 minute mark are pretty mediocre... most likely this will really be a collection of many songs and musical interludes connected by themes... it may even be split into tracks a la Fates Warning's "Pleasant Shade of Grey".

That said... I am a Porcupine Tree fanatic... though I found the last album didn't really appeal to me... I am confident SW can make such an ambitious project succeed... but I do worry as well.

If I remember correctly, they toured before the last release and played music from that CD at the shows. The concert was divided into two segments;

That's how it was for the PT show that I saw at the HOB on the Sunset Strip. Great show. Weird not being familiar with the lyrics, but at least it gave the band a chance to test which parts of the song the audience reacted to best.

I am looking forward to hear this. Fear of a Blank Planet became one of my favorite albums of all time quickly. I hope this one follows the same direction as that last one!

PORCUPINE TREE Reveal More Details For Upcoming Album, The Incident; Behind-The-Scenes Video Footage Available

Coming to the recording sessions following his first ever solo album, November 2008’s Insurgentes, Steven Wilson admits that the experience of having worked alone affected the direction of The Incident. “Possibly because of having done that, this record is darker, expansive, and more experimental,” he theorizes. “But when I write for Porcupine Tree, I know the sound I’m after.”

http://www.bravewords.com/news/115943

Oh man....

Not sure about anyplace else, but up here in NY, King's X is opening for Porcupine Tree.
Having seen both bands on several occasions, this is shaping up to be one of the top non-ProgPower USA concerts of the year.
If you haven't seen either of these bands before, why are you deprving yourself?

Scott

Not sure about anyplace else, but up here in NY, King's X is opening for Porcupine Tree.
Having seen both bands on several occasions, this is shaping up to be one of the top non-ProgPower USA concerts of the year.
If you haven't seen either of these bands before, why are you deprving yourself?

Scott
September 24th, Terminal 5 - I will be there! Who else will?

Thanks for the link KingsGene