New Porcupine Tree album announced

stupid dream was probably his lyrical peak, everything before that was psychedelia stoner stuff and everything after that has been just retarded honestly (except for arriving somewhere...). "like a cancer scare, in the dentists chair"? "xbox is a god to me my mother is a bitch my father gave up ever tryin to talk to me"? seriously steven?

DUUUUUUUUUUUUDE - +4BILLIONTRILLION, god what stupid lyrics; generally, I can't stand overly literal lyrics about things in real life, I listen to music as an escape, and it just sounds whiny (though not as bad as Pain of Salvation's "Scarsick", that's just staggeringly bad lyrically for the same reasons :Smug: )

Honestly though, how many of you listen to lyrics and think about then when you are listening to music? I listen to them but I don't really think about what they mean at all. They are more or less just a bunch of notes as opposed to words. Not sure if that makes sense though.

Most of the time I agree (the way I descibe it is that vocals are just another instrument, and so you wouldn't ask about the lyrics for a snare drum for example, thus why I don't care about them for vox - but that's usually when talking to people who bitch and whine endlessly that you can't understand so much of metal vocals :rolleyes: ) - but they're so apparent (and apparently lame IMO) in PT that I can't help but go blehhh

EDIT: But to be clear, bad lyrics can NEVER ruin a song for me, and likewise, good lyrics can never save awful music! (which is why I will never like "Circle Takes the Square" Gareth :D)

PT fucking win. Saw em two Halloweens ago.... godlike. Up there with Gojira and Meshuggah when it comes to live show mastery.

As soon as you think snare drums are capable of speech, we're going to have a talk about some of your habits.

Jeff

Hahahahahhahaha, nah man, they know the knowledge of the land, and speak to me in old accustomed ways! :D (big props to whoever gets that reference :headbang: )

Why has nobody brought up KING CRIMSON!? And there's nothing wrong with Porcupine Tree. They're like a modern-day crossover prog band in the vein of Rush. Not inherently brilliant but creative and full of nice arrangements and a killer rhythm section.

Has anyone listened to this album yet? From the friends I have spoken to that have it, the reviews have been glowing. The reviews I have read online have been very good as well. I'm gonna be picking the album up this weekend.

I think it's quite good, but I at the moment I don't like it as much as the previous few albums. Maybe it'll grow on me. (Maybe, but I always loved PT albums on the first listen).

The band will tour extensively to promote the album from mid September onwards.
Hope they come to Australia again, and if so, I hope they actually come to my city this time!