Porcupine Tree - The Incident (2009)

Better than FoABP, maybe.

I grind my teeth when I see Insurgentes being called SW's solo debut, since the first 2 PT albums were in reality solo efforts, really, plus Bass Communion and IEM and his other 80 quintillion side projects.

Just curious....how can you tell it is better than FoABP from a 7 minute preview? Or do you have it already?

The same way everyone else can. Logic. The Myspace player has the FOABP preview right underneath the new preview.

I've been following SW's PT work since Signify, so I have a VERY good idea what things should sound like if he doesn't throw a weird curveball (the preview suggests he isn't).

One doesn't have to be a KISS fan to know that :)

I see. I stand corrected. My "Kiss fan" logic allows me to reserve judgment until hearing the final product, sometimes multiple times. Forgive me...

Since you have such an insight into all things SW, I am glad that you think it will maybe be better than FOABP. This Kiss fan (and PT fan) eagerly awaits its release.

"PORCUPINE TREE are currently working on the first video from their upcoming album THE INCIDENT with director Lasse Hoile, which will be for the track Time Flies- the central part to the opening 55 minute track of the album.

In the video interview below, Steven fills us in on what 'Time Flies' is all about, the vibe in the studio during it's recording and what Lasse plans for the video.

Click on the player below to see the interview and head back here on JULY 31st to hear the track in the full, right here on Roadrunner UK.

Last week we revealed a 'sampler' of the first track off the album. If you missed that, head HERE ( http://www.roadrunnerrecords.co.uk/page/News?news_id=80069 ) to have a listen and read some first impressions of the album from the recent listening session in London."

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.co.uk/page/News?news_id=80332

I'm not a fan of that heavy distortion tone at the beginning of the preview... it seems to have been in SW's arsenal since at least "Signify"... but has taken on more prominence as the "metal" influences have grown in PT's music. I find it quite abrasive and suffocating... which I suppose is the point... but I just don't like it! And as much as I love Gavin... sometimes I feel he overplays... and it makes me long for Maitland's restraint. But other than those minor gripes... the clips sound very intriguing... this album should easily surpass the turgid FOABP.

If I remember correctly, they toured before the last release and played music from that CD at the shows. The concert was divided into two segments; first was new material and ALL cameras, phones etc. were banned to stop recordings. They took my camera battery and then gave it back for the second segment which was older, familiar tunes and hits. I'm thinking they may do something similar this time.

Really looking forward to the release, though I don't know how much longevity a 55-minute song will have in my rotation. Will probably be relegated to the Chilling Out On The Weekend time slot.

I heard in a new interview that they're gonna play that 55 minute song for the first half, then older stuff in the second.

But thats ridiculous about the camera phones. I can understand with high-quality cameras. I just want to take 2 or 3 pics with my phone as a "I was there" kind of souvenir. How the hell are they gonna take all the phones/batteries and give them back during an intermission? Hopefully they don't do that when I see them in LA in September.

I heard in a new interview that they're gonna play that 55 minute song for the first half, then older stuff in the second.

But thats ridiculous about the camera phones. I can understand with high-quality cameras. I just want to take 2 or 3 pics with my phone as a "I was there" kind of souvenir. How the hell are they gonna take all the phones/batteries and give them back during an intermission? Hopefully they don't do that when I see them in LA in September.

I remember when they played NEARFest that they only allowed photography during their set for the first three songs. It didn't exactly endear them to the fans.

At one show here recently at the Tabernacle, Danzig headlined...and required that all cellphones be left outside the venue. This did not "endear himself to his fans" either, to borrow a quote above. :) I'm still mystified as to the logistics of that. "Toss your cellphones in that box, you can get them later"?

Interestingly, I was told that the guards at the doors had some sort of 'sniffer' device that could detect the presence of a cellphone...and also, from what I was told, cigarettes. I got there too late -- from the Kamelot show across town -- to really see these in action, but I wish I could have seen them.

Disclaimer: I was there to see Dimmu Borgir, not Danzig. :)

Just to clear up one thing in my earlier post about Porcupine Tree; no cameras were allowed at all in the venue. I had a photo pass and only my batteries and those of the other photographers were taken and then returned. I have no idea what they did about cell phones, but I know I had mine, so I guess people were allowed to keep them.