Post-Hardcore - Trouble making it "punch"

dboy1612

New Metal Member
Jul 22, 2014
I'm currently taking my first few spins at mixing, and have begun investing in somet atleast decent equipment to make sure I could be fit for the song. I've had a good number of years exploring and learning from different artists and producers in the Post-Hardcore scene and now trying to really apply it all.

Hardware:
-Focuswrite 2i2 (Had already owned, haven't hit the point where I need to upgrade yet)
-Adam F5's for Monitors

My goal is to reach something like the link below. Reason for it is I know for the fact that the entire album from writing to tracking, mixing, and mastering were all done in a simple basement studio by one artist using sampled Drums, and D.I. Bass and Guitar. I'm in the same situation, so thought why not?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYgXS2Dft-g

Now at the moment, my mixes are coming no where close to that. They just don't have that "punch" the guitars give off. Here's what I have so far after some EQing and reverb on each drum piece, the bass (mostly), and guitars. Just something quick I put together that I like.

Course, this is just a mix that's unfinished. Haven't gotten around to making it "loud" and attempting any mastering. From what I understand though I should come pretty close to a finished song if I get a good mix down, right?

My guitars are easily my biggest backdraw. Currently two different tracks panned left and right (quad wasn't sounding too nice, I've left it be for now). I can't seem to get a decent distortion down. I've changed Guitar Rig and Amplitube with multiple presets, and am now trying Impulses with GrindMachine/LeCab2 with some reference from here.

Here's what they sound like by themselves with the reverb behind it (recorded with an ESP LTD Ec-401fm).

And completely clean, for those who may want to blame my tracking/playing (sounds great to me! :D)

So again, overall, I've hit a wall. I'm not sure where to take this next to really bring this mix up and running, to really get those guitars to sound more punchy. Any help on this is really, really, appreciated. For those who are super awesome and helpful and want stems to help with pointers, I've uploaded them here.

Thanks again. :)

EDIT: Seems soundcloud doesn't like me very much.. Fixed my full mix link.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey man, I really dig the song!!! I'm really tired and trying to crash, but will leave feedback tomorrow. I'm trying to find songs like this for mixing practice, I guess what I'm asking is... If you don't mind, could you possibly upload the separate tracks somewhere for download so I could practice. I promise to send you the final mix when I'm done, along with what plugs/settings/chain I used while mixing. Let me know, if you're not feelin doing that, no sweat off my back. It doesn't hurt to ask though. Can't wait to hear more music!!

Try to remove any reverb from the rhytm guitar and bass and it should help to make the sound more direct and punchy.