Post-Metal

I find genrefication an interesting topic. On one hand I feel everything is over categorized, but categories do serve a certain purpose in describing music. I am torn. Many genres are interconnected enough that one could just say they share certain similarities.

I would say my favorite "genre" is atmospheric post blackened folk. What exactly does that mean? =

-Black metal would probably be the core of it, representing a certain vocal style and darkness/feeling to the sound.
-Atmospheric I feel represents a certain level of meandering repetitiveness but enhanced by by some abstract melodic sound that pulls you into the music, ideally to a place.
-Folk is an interesting descriptor. Are we talking folk melodies? Folk instruments? Folk style vocals? Personally I like the folk melodies, the difference scales of music being used, absent most uses of folk instruments and vocals. But if we're just talking different scales and patterns in the music couldn't we just call it progressive?
-The post label is one I find difficult to even place a label on. It's almost just a grittier less guitar solo wankery version of what we think of as prog.

So when we're all said and done I might just say I like dark repetitive heavy music utilizing non-traditional scales with harsh vocals, but not so heavy as to compromise the melody.

Sure, but that flat description only gets across the notes themselves. It ignores aesthetic and atmosphere. It's like describing the blues only by mentioning what scales they use. Black/folk/post/whatever is a helluva lot more than simply what their songs look like transcribed on sheet music.

I'm a fan of genrefication not in the sense of arguing over what belongs in which bucket, but because it means you can easily, and thoroughly, describe your tastes to someone else. I can say "I like mid-tempo brutal death metal" or "I'm a fan of post-sludge with metallic hardcore leanings" and I'm willing to bet you know exactly what sounds I'm talking about.

-Atmospheric I feel represents a certain level of meandering repetitiveness but enhanced by by some abstract melodic sound that pulls you into the music, ideally to a place.

I think you have a misunderstanding of what atmosphere is. But I'm gonna spare you a long conversation about John Paynter and the San Fransisco Conservatory and say that atmospheres are a band's/artist's to give their material a gaseous state, remove their solidity, and saturate the air in the room when you're listening to them. That can translate into triplets played on a ping pong delay, breathiness on a muted trumpet, grace notes on a bass guitar... I would almost describe it at times as hesitant ability to briefly surrender musicality for gigantic tone.

The absolute best example of atmosphere is Miles Davis's song "So What" performed by his first famous quintet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqNTltOGh5c

Atmosphere is most obviously described as airiness in a band's music. Enya's breathiness in her vocal approach is an obvious execution of atmosphere.