Post Only What You Are Listening To Right Now:

Agalloch - Mantle
Isis - Oceanic
Sigur Ros - aegis whatever
Porcupine Tree - In Absentia

still trying to get into "deliverance"...but up to now my favorite song is wreath so...

yeah, I downloaded Deliverence too, but I'm not super stoked on it. There's some cool moments here and there, but overall it's just too similar to their older stuff. I suppose I shouldn't be expecting any sort of drastic departure, but whatever. I'm more excited to hear the 'mellow' record when it comes out. I have high hopes for that one.

Originally posted by avi
yeah, I downloaded Deliverence too, but I'm not super stoked on it. There's some cool moments here and there, but overall it's just too similar to their older stuff. I suppose I shouldn't be expecting any sort of drastic departure, but whatever. I'm more excited to hear the 'mellow' record when it comes out. I have high hopes for that one.

here is the same...it's sad 'cause they're one of my favorite bands...

Originally posted by avi

I don't know what you're listening to, but I'd say their newest marks a very distinct departure from their earlier stylings.

I'm overall disappointed with the album (though i can enjoy it).
I think it had immense potential but it seems rushed:
The production is off, simplistic and unidimensional, one wonders why they didn't simply record it in a garage using a microphone; the drumming (IMO) clashes with, rather than compliments, the moods in the melodies, and is obtrusive half the time; the lyrics are damn weak relative to MIke's earlier output.

The only thing this album has going for it is the few segments of melodic motifs that lace the songs. Quite beautiful, Mike seems to be drawing from a deeper psychological well -- but they're all underdeveloped and left uncongealed production and musicwise.

It's a shame really. So much potential, none of it realized. I'll still listen to the album, before and after I get the actual cd, but I don't expect it to get much playing time.