Post Your Top 10 Favo(u)rite Bands of All-Time (2021 Edition)

i don't really have favoUrite bands so much, everyone's so fucking inconsistent

bathory
iron maiden
bruce dickinson solo
tiamat
katatonia
burzum

Reactions: Krilons Resa
Not a fan of "The Focusing Blur?"

Definitely a fan, but I can't say that it's one of my favorites. There are some breathtaking moments on that album and the performances are insane. That lineup is pretty much legendary. I believe that they reached a self-congratulatory peak on TFB; it was an album full of wankery that even Mr. V himself decided to step away from. Overall the concept was better executed on "Visions...".

Solens Rotter was his last GREAT album. I was living in Vermont when it came out and was experiencing a great period of loneliness and hopelessness before eventually dropping out. I got a copy of this album and it pretty much saved my life at the time.

The Jordpuls/Orkan/Naturbal trilogy is unfortunately quite forgettable. I have been meaning to revisit these three but theyre just very boring.

The same can be said about Till Fjalls (Dell II), HOWEVER; the bonus EP "Tillbaka till kallorna" is outstanding. I kind of wish it was a standalone release, because its waaay better than the full-length.

Last edited:
Definitely a fan, but I can't say that it's one of my favorites. There are some breathtaking moments on that album and the performances are insane. That lineup is pretty much legendary. I believe that they reached a self-congratulatory peak on TFB; it was an album full of wankery that even Mr. V himself decided to step away from. Overall the concept was better executed on "Visions...".

Solens Rotter was his last GREAT album. I was living in Vermont when it came out and was experiencing a great period of loneliness and hopelessness before eventually dropping out. I got a copy of this album and it pretty much saved my life at the time.

The Jordpuls/Orkan/Naturbal trilogy is unfortunately quite forgettable. I have been meaning to revisit these three but theyre just very boring.

The same can be said about Till Fjalls (Dell II), HOWEVER; the bonus EP "Tillbaka till kallorna" is outstanding. I kind of wish it was a standalone release, because its waaay better than the full-length.

I LOVED TFB when it came out precisely because it was so outrageous. I mean, "Curtains?" Come on. "Visions" was always my least favorite Vintersorg album for some reason. I wasn't listening to him long before TFB came out and I had spent most of the my time with the first 3 so that's probably why. I now own all of his stuff through Till Fjalls del II but I haven't really listened anything past TFB in any detail.

I don't know. I started over with Metal a few years ago so I don't have the depth of time put into these bands that y'all have with your favorites. Here's a few holdovers and new favorites.

Black Sabbath
Saint Vitus
Type O Negative
Horde
Mortification
Crimson Thorn
Kekal
Antestor
Crimson Moonlight
Slechtvalk

Some close runners-up: Opprobrium, Paramaecium, Opeth, Vintersorg, Borknagar. Tourniquet, The Obsessed.

Reactions: Bloopy
I binged the discographies of Mercyful Fate and Stratovarius for science. I definitely don't consider them favourite bands any more, but still very good. Mercyful Fate doesn't have a bad album. Stratovarius maybe flirted with going more mainstream on Fourth Dimension and their self-titled, but otherwise no complaints. Seems they realised their folly each time.

did anyone but me ever listen to Kull? Basically Bal Sagoth without Lord Byron[/MEDIA]

I actually saw these guys live last weekend. I had no idea they were made up of the members of Bal Sagoth until they were introduced, then I remembered they had been mentioned on here recently. The live show was ok, but I wasn't familiar with any of the material. Listening to the album now - not sure so far. I also probably haven't listened to Bal Sagoth for about 15 years though. I know I owned The Power Cosmic though so going to give that one a spin after this.