power amp for ns10s??

doclegion

Contagious Destruction
Dec 31, 2006
I gots a pair of ns10s and im unsure about what kind of amp i need that will sound good n shit :Spin: so....any recommendations??
and what would i use for the speaker cables?? just cut the ends off and wire it up?? hahaha

I use a Hafler with mine. Anything that is 'decent' should be fine. Just don't go over board on power, unless you like buying tweeters often.

Though they're damned expensive, forgot how much they are, wow!

Yeah, I could've scored one for 50 euro's of my dad 3 years ago, told him I wasn't interested since I didn't plan on getting NS10's soon. I felt dumb some months later when actually wanting to move toward NS10's but didn't because of the price of a good power amp.

EDIT: After me saying no to his offer, he actually traded it for a nice watch..

I use a Hafler with mine. Anything that is 'decent' should be fine. Just don't go over board on power, unless you like buying tweeters often.

Loads of power actually seems to be the general consensus with NS10s. You could easily go as far as 250 watts per side depending on the stuff you play through them.

I'm using a Hafler 9303 with mine. Just grab some decent speaker wire and some banana plugs and you're good to go!

I run a Bryston 4BSST, much better than the old 4B Bryston. Of all the amps I have tried with NS10's I much preferred the 4BSST. A cheaper alternative is a used Adcom GFA 555, it's decent and can be had for around $300.

I cant use any flat response amp like a crown or QSC??
I was told to get a power amp from alesis that they make... I wanna get them up and running but i wanna do it correctly

ha ha dont even try to run NS10's off of something like that. Not saying that they wont work, but those amps are great for big P.A. speakers, not studio monitors. The last thing I think of when one mentions crown is flat. There is a crown amp in the PA at my studio but I would never think of hooking any of my speakers to it.

There is a real big difference between any high end hifi amp and a p.a. amp, mainly in noise, dampening factor, ch crosstalk, stereo image, most if not all audiophile amps also have minimal circuitry in it meaning no gain adjustment, no limiters, just running full on all the time. They really need an amp thats has a high dampening factor, and real class A A/B circuitry in it. If you really want to hear the NS10s the correct way get a Bryston 4b if you can afford it. Like SS said If your on the cheap try to find a ADCOM GFA-555 either a I or II. One of the best sounding amps under a $1000. Period. I have a GFA-555 II's with some basic cap mods done just due to its age and it kills my 2b that now just collects dust. But I will admit that the 4B either new or old, are really good amps one of the best ive heard besides some older McIntosh amps.

Dave

Loads of power actually seems to be the general consensus with NS10s. You could easily go as far as 250 watts per side depending on the stuff you play through them.

I'm using a Hafler 9303 with mine. Just grab some decent speaker wire and some banana plugs and you're good to go!

Really? My Hafler is a good 200 watts, and I blow through tweeters just at what I would imagine to be about 75 watts per side after a few months. I couldn't imagine needing anymore than 150 watts per speaker for NS-10's.

The NS-10 is only rated for 25 watts input power or 50 watt max.

Whats about this alesis RA100 amp?? Alesis makes some good amps for studio use no??

If you want any speaker, whether its a good one or not to sound like hazy turd shit, then run a cheap amp on them.

The reason for using NS10's in the first place it because of how brutally honest they are with mid and low mid information. They can actually be quite detailed in thew low mids if using the right amp. Secondly they have awesome impulse response, but using a cheap shitty amp that has less dampening control over the driver will degrade the impulse response accuracy of any speaker, ns10 or not.

If your blowing the tweeter in your ns10's regularly then your running the amps way to hot to get the needed output and the distortion in the amp is killing the HF driver. I'm sorry but NS10s have been run on 555, 545's 4b's and 2b's for 25 years+ I have never blown a tweeter in mine and I've had my 2b for about 10 and my 555 for about 4 years's.

FYI, Overpowering speakers is 100x better then power matching or under powering speakers any day. My old Kef 401/2's were run bi-amped with 2 CinePro THX theater amps pushing 600 watts rms bridged eached. The 401's were only rated at 120 watts rms. That setup lasted 8-9 years.

Dave

Bryston, yamaha p2100,3500 are good.
More chance to blow a speaker with a low wattage amp than with a biger...

The NS-10 is only rated for 25 watts input power or 50 watt max.

The consensus is still to feed NS10s loads of power though. There's only a small difference in maximum (consistent) SPL using higher wattage amps. NS10s can supposedly handle over 110dB with ease! That's loud! Take a look on gearslutz - there's some good, well-informed threads/posts on there (obviously some shit ones too!) about which amps to use.