power amp for ns10s??

Dude, any amp will work, it just so happens that a few work a lot better. You put shit in, you get shit out. That Alesis is what $200+/-? Add an extra hundred bucks in there and you could pick up a used Adcom that will make the speakers perform much better, and give you less of a chance to blow the HF driver.

Just search E-bay or CL for a used one. I bought mine to replace my Crown PA amp, its was only $350, and it took the place of my Bryston. Its a no brainer. And if you want talk to Jim Williams of Audio Upgrades, he can do a number on the GFA series that will put it in the league of McIntosh and other hi-end, expensive amps.

Dave

i went through this about a year ago...so i know a bit about it. here you go dude:

Bryston 3B is the best one you can get, and you won't know what you are missing until you hear one, but they are pricey. But they have a really cool warranty on it.

Yamaha 2200 is the one that i bought, and is the one that Chris Lord-Alge uses. It was meant for the NS10s and it sound really good. i really mean good!

Crown D-75 (old one only) this is also very nice and very transparent. I know Aaron from Seven Horns Seven Eyes has one.

Haflers sound all right, but it wouldn't be ideal, but they are the cheaper option.

So now you know, choose wisely.

Using a Denon AVR-3200 (a home stereo receiver by nature) with my NS-10m studios.

+1 on the "any decent power amp will do" methodology. I'm in a less than ideal situation but have managed to be happy with my mixes in the current condition.

I came across an adcom 545 i know that should work just fine right?? I still have a price range haha

good call they got good reviews with a solid price
Thanks for all the advice guys i had those speakers for about 6 months and ive been unsure on what amp i need for them my friend is trying to sell me his carvin for them

Yamaha 2200 is the one that i bought, and is the one that Chris Lord-Alge uses. It was meant for the NS10s and it sound really good. i really mean good!

+ 1 I did the same thing.

A great choice - big bastard of an amp though make sure you have enough rack room for it.

Haflers are 80's amps that sound like 80's amps. Harsh highs, with a wooly bottem end. If you werent around and into HiFi in the 80's you probably wouldn't understand.

Using a Home reciever for a power amp is, beyond stupid...

Dude I've been doing high end Hifi for 10-15 years, trust me, the Adcom is one of the best sounding amps out there. Someone just said something that bears repeating, you won't know what you are missing until you hear a really good amp. The only reason people are saying to use other shit is because they dont own a $2000 amp, or multiple for that matter, and have never listened back and fourth between a really good amp, and a just average amp. I would let you come do a listening session for your self if you lived near by, shit anyone for that matter is more then welcome to drop by the studio and hear the difference between a good amp and a not so good amp. Studio is in Northern California.

The 545 is a great amp. Little less power then the 555, and slightly different circuit topology, but it was designed by the same guy that designed the 555 series for adcom, Nelson Pass. Any hifi amp that guy has designed is nothing short of extraordinary.

Dave

Haflers are 80's amps that sound like 80's amps. Harsh highs, with a wooly bottem end. If you werent around and into HiFi in the 80's you probably wouldn't understand.

Using a Home reciever for a power amp is, beyond stupid...

Dude I've been doing high end Hifi for 10-15 years, trust me, the Adcom is one of the best sounding amps out there. Someone just said something that bears repeating, you won't know what you are missing until you hear a really good amp. The only reason people are saying to use other shit is because they dont own a $2000 amp, or multiple for that matter, and have never listened back and fourth between a really good amp, and a just average amp. I would let you come do a listening session for your self if you lived near by, shit anyone for that matter is more then welcome to drop by the studio and hear the difference between a good amp and a not so good amp. Studio is in Northern California.

The 545 is a great amp. Little less power then the 555, and slightly different circuit topology, but it was designed by the same guy that designed the 555 series for adcom, Nelson Pass. Any hifi amp that guy has designed is nothing short of extraordinary.

Dave
hey man i wanna say thanks for putting me in the right direction i got robbed on Ebay lastnite i couldve had a 545 for 160 bucks but my paypal wasnt confirmed (those fuck) so i jumped on one for the 2 hundo the 555 was a little out my range right now and i couldnt pass up the deal on the 545

all i gotta do now is wait and figure out how to connect the shit up :Spin:

No problem, glad I could have helped. Shit a 545 for 160 is a killer deal.

Just a tip, the Adcoms like to have a lot of wire between the speaker and the amp. Its recommended to do 25', I just use regular 12ga zip cord thats about 17-18' long. The 545 probably has RCA inputs on it, so at the least you'll need 1/4 - RCA cables to hook it up to your interface.

Welcome to the club. ha ha

Dave

No problem, glad I could have helped. Shit a 545 for 160 is a killer deal.

Just a tip, the Adcoms like to have a lot of wire between the speaker and the amp. Its recommended to do 25', I just use regular 12ga zip cord thats about 17-18' long. The 545 probably has RCA inputs on it, so at the least you'll need 1/4 - RCA cables to hook it up to your interface.

Welcome to the club. ha ha

Dave

yea thanks again ive had those ns10s for months with out a clue about the amp
i found them in a pawn shop for 400 pair
i been using Maudio 5in monitors but they did there job and held in for the many years i had them

I i wish i couldve got that amp for the 160 i wouldve saved 60 bucks but it was out of my hands still irritates me lol now hopefully my mixes improve hahaha

not to mention with longer cable theres more chance of picking up noise/crosstalk from other things like power cables/supplies,
Sounds like some HiFi lovers BS to me.

Sounds like some HiFi lovers BS to me.

Quoted for truth.

If this guy really wants to spend a ton of money on an amp for NS-10's, then by all means go for it. I've heard NS-10's in many studios with many different amps, and guess what- they sound like NS-10's.

I'm not advocating getting cheap crap, but there are plenty of amps out there that won't break the bank and work just fine for NS-10's. They are bookshelf cheapo speakers for what it's worth.

ha ha hi fi lovers bs... really. ha ha

Now back to the truth, the resistance increase for a 20' difference in wire length for good high strand count copper wire with a circular mills of 7-8,000 is 0.0015 ohms. Im only a ME so me math might be a little off but it should be close. If you think that less then a tenth of a ohm is going to effect anything your out of your mind.

This is how it has been explained to me, all amps have what is called a dampening factor. If you don't know what a dampening factor is then look it the fuck up, im not going to explain basic amp operation and Back EMF. So basically in a perfect world all power amps would have dampening factors high in the thousands so they would have the utmost control of the woofer, but in reality thats not the case. It is also the only spec that Adcoms suffer when compared to say a Bryston. What that equated to is, when an electrical impulse is sent from the power amp, to the speaker, the motor structure moves the cone in and out try to best recreate the impulse. But what happens after the signal has ended, the speaker is still moving, and this movement creates Back Electromotive Force in the form of small voltage spikes that the amp now has to dissipate. Granted these small spikes dont carry much in the way of amperage, and the voltage is lower then the amps output voltage its is none the less still there.

Because the Adcoms have a lesser ability to deal with this Back EMF, using longer speaker runs of lower gauge wire will help to dissipate the voltage spikes before hitting the back end of the amp. It also has a lot to do with output impedance of the amp as well but im not going to get into that. I hope that makes sense, I'm still waiting for the coffee to finish. ha

Like I said, that is what I was told but quite a few people, including Nelson Pass, the guy who designed the amp, as well as many other high end amps for a lot of power amp manufactures.

Wolfeman: WTF are you jibbering about. An Adcom 555 is about 350 used and 545's can be had for under 200... What else is cheaper then that, and can compete with Brystons, and IMHO sound way more accurate then any Hafler ive ever heard. Granted im not proclaiming that haflers sound like shit, but when you spend 8+ hours of your day, 5 -6 days a week listening to music through monitors in a studio you tend to start understanding the nuances and small differences in your gear and I've never really liked the Hafler sound. Ns10s or not the Adcoms are awesome amps, and inexpensive as shit. Even though NS10's are crap from the 70's they still like any speaker benefit from a good amp, period. The first set of speakers i ever built when I was younger consisted of some Alpine car audio woofers and some shitty Scan Speak tweeters with my own 4th order LW&R X-over made with shitty inductors and crappy caps, and even those sounded decent when run on the adcom, with the apogee da driving that.

Wolfeman: WTF are you jibbering about.

Jibbering about? Slow your roll buddy. I'm not jibbering about anything, and I don't see any reason to call me out and act all high and mighty. I never once quoted you or singled you out.

But now I'll quote you- "The only reason people are saying to use other shit is because they dont own a $2000 amp, or multiple for that matter, and have never listened back and fourth between a really good amp, and a just average amp. I would let you come do a listening session for your self if you lived near by, shit anyone for that matter is more then welcome to drop by the studio and hear the difference between a good amp and a not so good amp. Studio is in Northern California."

P.S- Jibbering isn't a real word.