Power Mac G5 and Logic 9

setyouranchor

Celestial Recordings
May 17, 2010
North Wales, UK
Is it possible?

I'm looking at upgrading my 2008 Macbook (4GB RAM, 2.1GHz processor Intel Core Duo) to a Powermac G5 (4 - 10GB RAM, 400GB HD, Dual 2.5GHz processor.)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140509166068#ht_704wt_937

something like this.

I've read that LP9 will only work on Intel based macs but I've also read on other forums people havn't any problems running it on their old G5s.

I'm not the BEST with technical stuff when it comes to macs and was wondering if anybody could shine some light on it.

What would I need for it to run? How would it run performance wise?

EDIT: JUST REALISED THIS IN RATE MY MIX! SORRY! COULD SOMEONE MOVE TO EQUIPMENT?

Is it possible?

I'm looking at upgrading my 2008 Macbook (4GB RAM, 2.1GHz processor Intel Core Duo) to a Powermac G5 (4 - 10GB RAM, 400GB HD, Dual 2.5GHz processor.)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140509166068#ht_704wt_937

something like this.

I've read that LP9 will only work on Intel based macs but I've also read on other forums people havn't any problems running it on their old G5s.

I'm not the BEST with technical stuff when it comes to macs and was wondering if anybody could shine some light on it.

What would I need for it to run? How would it run performance wise?

EDIT: JUST REALISED THIS IN RATE MY MIX! SORRY! COULD SOMEONE MOVE TO EQUIPMENT?

Works fine, used to do it myself

Hmm this is what I was a bit worried about. Some yes, some no.

The main plugins I use are the typical bedroom warrior set up: Pod Farm Platinum, Slate and Superior, Ozone, Aptrigga and the rest is pretty much Logic's own. I'm starting to record real drums so need a stable system.

I'm just worried my laptop isn't enough and its quite daunting that its my only recording system.

setyouranchor said:
Hmm this is what I was a bit worried about. Some yes, some no.

The main plugins I use are the typical bedroom warrior set up: Pod Farm Platinum, Slate and Superior, Ozone, Aptrigga and the rest is pretty much Logic's own. I'm starting to record real drums so need a stable system.

I'm just worried my laptop isn't enough and its quite daunting that its my only recording system.

I use mine for drum editing, has worked fine with drumagog and ozone for me that's all that's on it got it cheap and never planned on using it for recording, just editing

WIth how old the architecture is on those things, a quadcore G5 might not even be as good as your CoreDuo.

There's something inherently weird to me about buying a machine that's (at the youngest) 5 years old as your main machine.

yea, i would not buy any mac that does NOT have an intel based architecture. what are the specs of your laptop?

Picture33.png

I'd save a bit more for a proper Mac Pro or iMac if I'm honest, Seb! I mucked around with my 2.4 C2D/4GB RAM MBP for a while, used a quadcore pc for more power for about a year before realizing that I needed to stop kicking myself in the balls every time I wanted to get work done. The iMac i7 is probably one of the best purchase I've ever made.

I'd save a bit more for a proper Mac Pro or iMac if I'm honest, Seb! I mucked around with my 2.4 C2D/4GB RAM MBP for a while, used a quadcore pc for more power for about a year before realizing that I needed to stop kicking myself in the balls every time I wanted to get work done. The iMac i7 is probably one of the best purchase I've ever made.

thats exactly what i have. and unless im absolutely going crazy with massive plugins i dont have an issue :)

i agree with jeff, wait till you have some cash to get a nice setup that you will use for years instead of getting the bare essentials now and regretting it in 6 months. even though the processor isn't the best, the macbook you have now should get the job done fairly well. maybe if you updated your ram to 800mhz ddr2 ram. can it hold 4gb or 8gb?

Granted most Macs will last a long time, but don't buy a G5, it's outdated and no longer supported, lots of plugin developers are making their plugins Intel only now (Slate included, I think VCC is Intel only right?)

Plus Apple doesn't support PPC in the newest version of OSX, Snow Leopard.

You can get refurb quadcore i7 iMacs for less than $2000... just save up and get something that isn't outdated

Sorry to bump and thanks for the replies!

How would an i3 run, performance wise?

they're dual core, i7 is quad. i3 is more of a low budget processor, and i7 is more meant for stuff that will heavily tax the processor, like audio sessions

maybe if anyone is using an i3 machine they can comment but I think most peeps around here are using the i7

Honestly just save and get the i7 man. Get an iMac 27" with the i7, gonna last a lonnnnnng time and has plenty of power. So glad I got one to replace my G5 dual 2.0 about a month ago.

Don't buy a G5. Great machines but it isnt worth the potential headaches that may come with it (software incompatibility, any potential hardware issues, etc)