Power of Omens

Collapse Generation

Son Of November
Jul 21, 2002
Norway
home.broadpark.no
Hello everyone!

I am new here, and I just wanted to ask the hardcore Power of Omens fans this question:

What if the current vocalist was replaced by i.e a Russell Allen (Symphony X) sort of vocalist?

My point is: Power of Omens' music is awesome. But the vocals are definitely my problem with this band.

I am not saying he can't sing, I am just saying I don't like the way he sings. Like Geoff Tate...

Anyway, Rooms of Anguish is a very solid album. And I own Eyes of the Oracle also, which I bought many years ago.

Well, this thread was not meant to harm anyone. I just want to get some opinions from other people as well.

I don't think that Russell Allen's vocal style would work with Power of Omens music. He has a very good and gritty voice, but it weakens a bit when he sings in the higher octaves. IMO, PofO music "requires" vocals that are strong across several octaves, crystal clear and clean, and very dynamic. I think that Chris Salinas is one of a very small group of people whose voice has these qualities, and is perfect for PofO. Russell Allen is a good vocalist; Chris Salinas is a great vocalist!

Welcome to the board.

IMO, Allen's style wouldn't fit well with PoO's style, since I consider Chris' vocals a HUGE part of PoO's style. So basically I just can't imagine any other person besides Chris singing with PoO. :)

I understand your point completely. There are several bands where the vocals are what keeps me from loving their music. The first band that comes to mind is Dream Theater. (Before I get slammed, I have learned to tolerate the vocals of DT, and even *like* the vocals at times.)

Stacy

Don't forget- not ALL of the high vocals on the new CD are Chris S's either!!

:):cool::):cool::Spin:

Seriously, though, I'd have to say although I love Symphony X's vox, I can't see it fitting with what we do. Salinas has an uncanny ability to work in a melody line on top of some of the craziest instrumental work I've ever heard, and his voice is the perfect instrument to do it.

JMHO, of course ;)

Chris H

Thanks for all of your replies, and hi Chris!
He has a very good and gritty voice, but it weakens a bit when he sings in the higher octaves.
In my opinion, Russell Allen has one of the best voices in the business. I just watched Symphony X live last week, and the performance he had there just confirmed my opinion, not only to myself, but also to many others. Now, this is not a "Russell Allen is GOD" reply, so I'll leave this topic for now (Daniel Gildenlöw from Pain of Salvation is GOD anyway, so...
lol.gif
).

Nonetheless, Rooms of Anguish is a very tight and nice album, with lot's of high musicianship. Can't do anything but to congratulate the band!

Collapse Generation said:
Thanks for all of your replies, and hi Chris!
In my opinion, Russell Allen has one of the best voices in the business. I just watched Symphony X live last week, and the performance he had there just confirmed my opinion, not only to myself, but also to many others. Now, this is not a "Russell Allen is GOD" reply, so I'll leave this topic for now (Daniel Gildenlöw from Pain of Salvation is GOD anyway, so...
lol.gif
).

Nonetheless, Rooms of Anguish is a very tight and nice album, with lot's of high musicianship. Can't do anything but to congratulate the band!

Welcome to the board CG, glad to see that you like Rooms of Anguish... it's too bad about the vocal thing though. I do agree that Russell Allen is definitely an incredible vocalist, in fact he's one of Salinas' favorites, along with Tom Englund of Evergrey. Which both of those guys also happen to be favorites of mine as well. ;)
But I do have to say, I can't imagine playing along side of anyone other than Salinas. :cool:

~D

Welcome to the board CG, glad to see that you like Rooms of Anguish... it's too bad about the vocal thing though. I do agree that Russell Allen is definitely an incredible vocalist, in fact he's one of Salinas' favorites, along with Tom Englund of Evergrey. Which both of those guys also happen to be favorites of mine as well. ;)
But I do have to say, I can't imagine playing along side of anyone other than Salinas.

Thanks, and hi Dave!

You know, Tom is also high up on my favorite vocalists list. I have been following Evergrey since they released Solitude - Dominance - Tragedy.

Is your band planning any touring in Europe? That would be cool. :)

rgbeach said:
I don't think that Russell Allen's vocal style would work with Power of Omens music. He has a very good and gritty voice, but it weakens a bit when he sings in the higher octaves. IMO, PofO music "requires" vocals that are strong across several octaves, crystal clear and clean, and very dynamic. I think that Chris Salinas is one of a very small group of people whose voice has these qualities, and is perfect for PofO. Russell Allen is a good vocalist; Chris Salinas is a great vocalist!

I'm with Bob, here. Chris Salinas's vocals really fit like a glove. Sir Russell Allen's vocals are perhaps a little more (and too) rhythmically and percusively focused for a band like PofO. Chris Salinas's voice provides melody over the chaotic, and adventurous, rhythms that make up PofO's chellenging music.

Not to say I don't love Russell Allen. He's one of my favourites; there's so much drama in his voice (especially in songs like Sins and Shadows).

Hey Collapse Generation, don't you run the PoS message board? I used it a few times (with this name), but I'm pretty slack for checking mb's now.

I'm with Bob, here. Chris Salinas's vocals really fit like a glove. Sir Russell Allen's vocals are perhaps a little more (and too) rhythmically and percusively focused for a band like PofO. Chris Salinas's voice provides melody over the chaotic, and adventurous, rhythms that make up PofO's chellenging music.

I totally understand what you are saying. Even though Symphony X's music is more challenging that most other bands' music, PofO's music still has that little extra crazy, weirdness over it. Salina has to sing in a way like Hægeland has to in Spiral Architect (although I certainly prefer Hægeland).

Not to say I don't love Russell Allen. He's one of my favourites; there's so much drama in his voice (especially in songs like Sins and Shadows).

Yeah, there you said it, drama! That's a good word to describe his voice.

Hey Collapse Generation, don't you run the PoS message board? I used it a few times (with this name), but I'm pretty slack for checking mb's now.

I am a part of the admin team, yes! I remember you as "Ibanez Overlord". You should definitely visit, Daniel Gildenlöw has also started to make a few posts! The board has become really nice.

When I fist heard the voice, I was like
"Err,...,Um...., Oh...,Ow....

But now I love it!

And yes Russ is a amazing singer(my fav' acually) but PofO is a different kind of music.

PofO is not as heavy or balsy as SX therefore the balsy, growlly, narrative vocals don't fit the music.

PofO is much more technical and progressive than SX with some of the craziest intrumental sections since Spiral Architect.

I mean comon, how the hell can you make a melody over PofO's insane music - Chris does.

Personally, and I know that most people have their preferred vocalists and a certain sound they are always looking for, but I enjoy a diverse selection from various bands. I am a huge Geoff Tate fan, as well as Russell Allen...and I love Ray Alder too (whom I think Salinas sounds a lot alike too). But I also grew up listening to Geddy Lee (Rush), Tommy Shaw (Styx), Steve Walsh (Kansas) and so many others...and I don't ever remember anyone saying "Wow, what if this person sang with this band". I accept bands for their individuality, and the entire way that Power of Omens performs and produces this incredible sound that I have just recently discovered makes them unique. Thank the Music Gods that they DON'T sound like SymphonyX, Dream Theater, Kansas, or any of my other favorite bands. I already have CDs from those bands that I listen to avidly. Power of Omens is not only fresh, but their production is masterful. The wind chimes, eerie background keyboard effects, and the fact that Dave plays from his heart rather than intentionally squeezing in 25 notes in a bar just to sound technical makes them worth listening to for me.

Esucarys said:
....The wind chimes, eerie background keyboard effects, and the fact that Dave plays from his heart rather than intentionally squeezing in 25 notes in a bar just to sound technical makes them worth listening to for me.
Well put. I just downloaded the video of Test of Wills. Cool video, but I'd wish the image quality was a little bit better.