PP Scan 2008 - reviews

i agree with Stormaniac about Lanfear. to me personally they were an amazing and, I must say, unexpected surprise. they are amazing musicians, a bit underrated. they deserve to be more present in the media and definately prog fans MUST give this band a listen to. the compositions are very well written, they alternate flawlessly the tempo shifts and the drumming is absolutely phenomenal. ever since i got back from the fest, i can't stop listening to their music, they're everyday in my playlist... i'll review their new album "X To The Power Of Ten" very soon in my webzine.

I wish the Lanfear guys the best of luck!

I'd rate the review with 1/6 :)
Somebody who uses the words Lanfear and faceless in one sentence simply isn't able to understand what "progressive" means. Dude, go and listen to all the DT clones and leave me alone with your wish-wash!

I also noted that the guy who did the review keep on talking about "the power of prog" and that "this and that band aren't really prog metal" ... t.ex he says that Nostradameus has a "straight forward approach to prog music" and Secret Sphere are "classical prog metal" ... ehmhmm ... to my ears those two bands are power metal, not prog at all.

This festival is not just PROG, it's also POWER metal ... in fact, to me and the other guys who run the festival, there aren't any real "boundaries" on it. It seems like the guy who wrote that review wants bands who are only progressive (be it prog-rock or prog-metal) and nothing else. Well, sorry to say, but with a pure prog-lineup we would only have half the attendance . Next year we're planning to go even further "out of the box" and are looking at bands that might appeal more to a prog-rock audience AND bands that will appeal more to a powerful metal audience, yet still keep some "classic" style power metal and prog metal bands on there :)

c.

the most important thing about the festival was that it had everything to please absolutely everyone present there. there was power, technical thrash, pure prog, melodic prog, symph, avantgarde. enough for everyone to apreciate. and i must say that all the bands were very good, without exception. i think a festival shouldn't be restrained to a specific type of genre, or subgenre, especially when it comes to a prog-power fest. so Claus, that's why i like the way you foresee the next edition and i'm already looking forward to it. :)

best,

dan

Diversity is a good thing, however with all the cancellations and the replacements, I think this year ended up being rather more power than prog. I agree with the metal-revolution.com reviewer on most of the bands too, at least in the general quality if not the details. (Lanfear however I more or less missed so no opinion on that.) His writing just has kind of a cynical and sarcastic tone that wasn't that pleasant.

Good festival all in all, hope to able to be there again some year. Hope something can be done to improve the sound if the 3rd edition is held there, it was pretty terrible on the first day. Other than the sound I don't see why not, The Rock is a nice place and perhaps not yet too small for PPS next year.

Diversity is a good thing, however with all the cancellations and the replacements, I think this year ended up being rather more power than prog.

Really? I think the only power metal bands were Nostradameus and Secret Sphere. Lanfear is a mixture of power and prog, and Wuthering Heights is their own mixture of everything (including folk music). The rest of the bands to me are prog metal bands.

c.

Fair enough, you may be right. Those were the only true power metal bands. Maybe I should have said it some other way. However I do think the line-up did lean towards power-ish melodic (prog) metal...it's probably just me, seeing as I don't care for stuff like Vanden Plas or Cloudscape. When you mix power and prog metal, in my experience it usually sounds pretty crap to me, so of course I would've preferred something along the lines of Wastefall, more of a mixture of heavier metal and prog. But obviously the festival is about prog and power, so I'm not pointing fingers or anything, the "problem" is obviously at this end. Maybe I jumped the gun with the genres. I was there to see Deadsoul Tribe and Pain of Salvation in any case, I very much enjoyed those and wasn't offended by the rest, so there we go.

Just to be clear, I had a great time at PPS so I'm not slagging anyone, just giving my hopefully civilized opinion.

I agree with Teijo, it was a bit heavy on melodic power prog stuff but mostly I still like bands of that genre. ;) I could well imagine some more heavy technical/experimental stuff for next year though...
time for a band wishlist 2009 thread then!?

Quite funny that people waste time in defining what's progressive or not or if it's progressive enough or not. I always thought progression means to be open minded, to integrate something special, to look forward, to be up to date etc. but in fact some people here are nothing but close minded and are not even able to recognize that.
When I read some opinions here to me it seems that some prog metal heads are nothing but regressive minds who start to cry if a band doesn't sound the way they want them to have. Pretty poor scene, if you ask me.
I listen to many styles and to me it doesn't even matter if it's metal or not. Be open minded and you'll enjoy music much more, believe me!
Prog combined with power is crap? Bands as Control Denied, Mystic Force, Pathos, Lethal or Hexenhaus are crap? Or do you simply not know them because they don't fit in your prog metal pattern? :D
Seems that I'm wrong here, sorry!

^Yes, at the wrong tree barking you are. I'll agree that the genre discussion is a bit tedious and that many music fans could do with being more openminded though.

The thread's gone a bit off-topic...but I suppose that's better than complete lack of discussion?

Yeah, they're very cool indeed! :headbang:
Where can I find the pictures of the first day?

Hey Claus, thanks for linking to us!
I'm ashamed to say that I only now, at this late time, realized that you have a forum in here. Will try and stay more up to date from now on...

It was my first time at PPS, and I really enjoyed myself. Many of the bands were unknown to me; mostly wanted to go because of Deadsoul Tribe and Pain Of Salvation, but there were many other bands I enjoyed as well. Biggest positive surprice was probably Wuthering Heights, as far as I can remember...