PPUSA Day 1 Headliner Announcement! (update 11/16)

Look at it this way, the music itself is not a joke as it is non-trivial to play. The people playing it? They're non-serious about it.

Kinda like Voyager. "Serious" music (aka technical and shit) played by very non-serious people. At least that's how I look at it.

This may be semantics, but I do not see them as parody. I see them more in the vein of Shaun of the Dead for power metal. I see parody as often laughing at the the thing it is spoofing. While a movie like Shaun of the Dead is more satire, that while it does poke fun at the conventions of zombie films, also celebrates the genre. This is how I see Gloryhammer, they are somewhat skewering power metal conventions, while at the same time celebrating the reason many people love it.

Their new album has a song about a mighty warrior who travels through time and arrives in Hollywood. The hero goes on to also become the greatest actor to ever walk Earth. If that isn't awesome in every single way, I don't know what is.

I suggest you guys have a beer or two and just enjoy the show. All you have to know is that they are a monster live band. I guarantee some of you will walk away from their set as converted fans. :)

OMG.. Angus McFife XIII saves the alternate timeline Galactic Kingdom of Fife from Zargothrax. Don't you know ANYTHING?

I'll be honest, I really hate this 1 band a week format. I really want to book a room and wish i knew whether to book for just Friday-Saturday or all 4 days.

I think we've all forgotten just how nail biting this was years ago when it was the norm and we didn't have the full lineup for the main show until months after the previous PPUSA. :yuk:

I'll be honest, I really hate this 1 band a week format. I really want to book a room and wish i knew whether to book for just Friday-Saturday or all 4 days.

I'm definitely in for all 4 days, but am looking forward to seeing the Wednesday night lineup, as that will determine if I fly in on Tuesday. I cut my Wed. flight WAY too close this year!

I think we've all forgotten just how nail biting this was years ago when it was the norm and we didn't have the full lineup for the main show until months after the previous PPUSA. :yuk:

So true! Love the addition of the Fri. night video announcement!

Are you booking a room at a hotel which will charge you for altering your reservation? If not, just make the reservation for all 4 days, and you can shorten it later if you decide to go for only 2 days.

I'm in for all four days, and have been for the last few years. SkiBumMSP and I are contemplating coming in on Tuesday as well. It all depends on what time the show starts on Wednesday night. It would be nice to fly in and enjoy Atlanta for a change!

They were going to have the Friday video, but one of the bands backed out at the last minute and it would have caused confusion, so they decided to go this way.

It reminds me of the old days when this was the norm! Just hoping for something more prog this time! :) :)

I'm going to guess either Kingcrow or Orphaned Land. Or Pyramaze, but I would love that too much.

I'm definitely in for all 4 days, but am looking forward to seeing the Wednesday night lineup, as that will determine if I fly in on Tuesday. I cut my Wed. flight WAY too close this year!

So true! Love the addition of the Fri. night video announcement!

I was looking at Residence Inn and to book that far in advance they charge the room rate upfront and its nonrefundable. Probably because to many people book all 4 days and then cancel at the last minute.

We're coming on Tuesday regardless.. Gloryhammer is already enough to get me there for Thursday, so its a done deal. :)

We have an understanding when it comes to direct conversation.

I don't question him when it comes to obscure Japanese prog rock vinyl from the 60's that 40 people give a fuck about. He doesn't question me about power metal.