PPUSA Day 1 Headliner Announcement! (update 11/16)

It was already worth attending the 4 days, but getting the kick off show OUT of The Loft is the best news ever. Should we talk about adding a 5th day? Just kidding...or am I?

Thanks, Glenn/Milton/Nathan - You guys are the greatest!!! Here's to quick sellouts and initial lineups reaching the stage.

Beat me to posting this :) +1

I like the "old school" announcement way. It builds up the excitement! I'll be on the edge of my seat! :D

Not me - I want to know everything ASAP. I'm sure that I'll love some of the bands, but to hear one band being named that I might not be crazy about and then having to wait another week or two for the next band to be named will completely suck! I would love to know the entire lineup prior to the Fri/Sat on-sale date so I'll have a clear indication as to what a $1,000 trip to Atlanta next year will get me.

Not me - I want to know everything ASAP. I'm sure that I'll love some of the bands, but to hear one band being named that I might not be crazy about and then having to wait another week or two for the next band to be named will completely suck! I would love to know the entire lineup prior to the Fri/Sat on-sale date so I'll have a clear indication as to what a $1,000 trip to Atlanta next year will get me.

I don't think this is much of a concern. Is the assortment of Wednesday and Thursday bands going to affect your decision on whether to make the trip? Based on past experience, is it likely that you're not going to be into at least half the Wednesday / Thursday bands? Also, all the bands will have been announced by the time it will make sense to buy plane tickets or lock in travel plans.

I can understand wanting to know now, but I don't think the one-per-week announcements for the next couple months are going to have any major effect on anyone's plans for next year.

I don't think this is much of a concern. Is the assortment of Wednesday and Thursday bands going to affect your decision on whether to make the trip? Based on past experience, is it likely that you're not going to be into at least half the Wednesday / Thursday bands? Also, all the bands will have been announced by the time it will make sense to buy plane tickets or lock in travel plans.

I can understand wanting to know now, but I don't think the one-per-week announcements for the next couple months are going to have any major effect on anyone's plans for next year.

For me, probably not. Freedom Call, Refuge and Vanishing Point, along with my previous experience at the fest over the last 3 years, is enough to get me to buy a ticket. However, I have friends I'd like to convince to go and the lineup is not quite there for them. I'd hate for it to sell out and then once it's too late they decide they would have gone based on Wed/Thu bands that weren't announced yet. Let's face it - the decision to go for the first time is always harder than the decision to come back, at least for those of us who have to fly all the way across the country. Coming back is an addiction. As much as I want to see Freedom Call and Refuge, that would not have been enough for a first time trip for me. As a returnee, it is.

For me, probably not. Freedom Call, Refuge and Vanishing Point, along with my previous experience at the fest over the last 3 years, is enough to get me to buy a ticket. However, I have friends I'd like to convince to go and the lineup is not quite there for them. I'd hate for it to sell out and then once it's too late they decide they would have gone based on Wed/Thu bands that weren't announced yet. Let's face it - the decision to go for the first time is always harder than the decision to come back, at least for those of us who have to fly all the way across the country. Coming back is an addiction. As much as I want to see Freedom Call and Refuge, that would not have been enough for a first time trip for me. As a returnee, it is.

I certainly agree there. I went for the first time in November 2001 on something of a whim. I had some free time (I was working a series of short-term contract jobs at the time, and had no contract lined up for those particular days). I had also recently bought a new car, and had been wanting to take a road trip. Also, gold badges were still available at the last minute that year. In addition, several people I knew had mentioned having a great time at the first one in Chicago in February 2001. So I went. Then after going that first time, it basically became a no-brainer to keep returning every year.

I can see where you're coming from as far as convincing friends to go. Though I suppose from the perspective of overall ticket sales, if Friday / Saturday sells out shortly after the onsale date solely on the strength the lineup of those two nights, then that may not be great for people who were waiting for the full Wednesday / Thursday lineup before making their decision, but that's just the understandable result of demand being greater than supply. :) That said, if the show sells out quickly, then someone decides in December or January that they'd like to go, there will be plenty of people on the thread here who bought early then found out they couldn't go, who will be looking to sell their tickets.

And at the same time, do you really believe that there won't be additional tickets on sale as people inevitably have to drop out for reasons?

Plus, we'll know at least 2 of the acts for the Thursday show by the time the tickets go on sale, if not all 3.

Will the whole thing be announced before tickets for the main festival go onsale? I'm still very on the fence about this year, if the first two days are better I'll be getting tickets for Friday and Saturday too as long as I'm down there. I don't want to have the main fest sell out while I'm still waiting on committing to the whole weekend.

Outing a band like that seems incredibly unprofessional, regardless of the reason, and disrespectful to the band who are actually playing.

It would also produce a black eye on the festival where some bands (particularly the one that withdrew) would never want to deal with the fest again.