PPUSA Day 1 Headliner Announcement! (update 11/16)

Do you really consider Fate's Warning's "Awaken the Guardian" era prog? That baffles me, but to each their own.

as a huge FW fan - and mostly the Ray era - no, I don't. and I am so fucking excited it was the trigger that made me come back. :)

I'd second Marillion as a PPUSA headliner one day. :p

Honestly, the people complaining about prog headliners make me so confused. I don't even consider Devy or Scar Symmetry to be prog; more ProgLite than anything.

But if we were to get some Camel, Magma, Captain Beyond, Gentle Giant, Sweet Smoke, Hawkwind, etc. up in this fest - I'd be all over that. (I don't even know how many, if any, of those bands are still together tbh haha)

This is a metal festival. While Glenn has started having more on the side of prog rock, I hope it doesn't go too far that way.

Glenn has proven time and again that diversity is an important part of keeping the festival going... getting new people there... etc. In my book these shifts have always been great as I am exposed to new bands and styles. Bring on the prog rock bands. There's definitely room for them.

Glenn has proven time and again that diversity is an important part of keeping the festival going... getting new people there... etc. In my book these shifts have always been great as I am exposed to new bands and styles. Bring on the prog rock bands. There's definitely room for them.

Sure, there is room for them, but it is certainly about percentages. Some of us are dropping $1,000 flying from the west coast and taking half a week of valuable vacation time, and although I for one love to be exposed to new bands, if the festival doesn't have a bucket list band or a certain percentage of bands I like, then staying home is always a possibility. For me, Freedom Call and Refuge are big for me. If one of those two bands wasn't there, I would be skipping this year because although I like prog, the festival this year is a little prog heavy for my tastes. And as for Wed/Thu, I'm really looking forward to seeing who the Wednesday headliner is because I'm not sold on that day yet. Of course, the festival sold out in just a few hours, so obviously Glenn is doing something right whether or not I decided to come or not.

This is a metal festival. While Glenn has started having more on the side of prog rock, I hope it doesn't go too far that way.

There has always been elements of lighter prog bands at the fest going back to PPUSA II (Nightingale) and always some stranger bands thrown in for good measure, its part of what makes this fest unique. This fest is what Glenn & co makes it and what sells it out, really that is the bottom line.

Bear

Of course, the festival sold out in just a few hours, so obviously Glenn is doing something right whether or not I decided to come or not.

Exactly. I think this is now at the point where losing a few tickets for bringing in prog rock bands is not an issue... they will surely be sold to others waiting in line.

For me, Freedom Call and Refuge are big for me. If one of those two bands wasn't there, I would be skipping this year because although I like prog, the festival this year is a little prog heavy for my tastes. And as for Wed/Thu, I'm really looking forward to seeing who the Wednesday headliner is because I'm not sold on that day yet.

Put your faith and your trust in your promoters and you shall be rewarded.

Do you really consider Fate's Warning's "Awaken the Guardian" era prog? That baffles me, but to each their own.

I definitely consider that album progressive on many levels. Is it as progressive as Dream Theater? no way, but for FW it was definitely heading down some of the progressive roads that they started to experiment with on Spectre.

But, on that note, you can never please people who simply divide this fest into Prog Bands and Power Bands. The fest is just what it is each year which is great bands performing for us all regardless of the genre people like to lump them into.

I would classify it as 80s prog/power along with other bands from that time like Queensryche, Crimson Glory, or Heir Apparent. Prog metal didn't really exist then in the form it does today so I think that's where some of the differing opinions come from. If you compare Awaken The Guardian to today's music it's just classic or traditional metal.

I would classify it as 80s prog/power along with other bands from that time like Queensryche, Crimson Glory, or Heir Apparent. Prog metal didn't really exist then in the form it does today so I think that's where some of the differing opinions come from. If you compare Awaken The Guardian to today's music it's just classic or traditional metal.

In the context of metal in 1986, it most definitely is progressive. But yes labelling it as prog/power is fair, it really should appeal to both sets of fans.

We are pleased to announce the ProgPower USA XVII Day 1 Headliner:

https://vimeo.com/145858411

We will announce the Day 2 Headliner (Glenn's Pick) on November 30th. Tickets for Day 1 & 2 (combined) go on sale December 5th via Ticketmaster. Thanks to our Art Director, Wayne Joyner, for his continued excellence with the video productions. On behalf of Nathan, Milton, & myself.....thank your for your continued support!

Well...THERE'S your power!

Also 2 weeks to wait!? Arrrgh. I can't handle this. You've spoiled us so hard with the full roster drops.

Ugh. Get your tickets early or else Dforce fans will buy them up, and skip the sets of all the other bands .