Practicing regimen

rhythmicmadness

New Metal Member
Jan 8, 2006
Hey Chris,

Do you have a set practice regimen or does it vary day by day? Also do you have certain guitar techniques that you tend to gravitate towards when you solo? And finally do you work on your alternate picking all the time or just occasionally?

rhythmicmadness said:
Hey Chris,

Do you have a set practice regimen or does it vary day by day? Also do you have certain guitar techniques that you tend to gravitate towards when you solo? And finally do you work on your alternate picking all the time or just occasionally?
Hey rhythmicmadness,

I do have a practice regimen, but it will vary based on what I feel I need to work on. I will constantly change my exercises, but the technical areas are always represented (legato, picking, sightreading, etc...). Unfortionalty everyone gravitates tward specific techiniqes when soloing (ex. would be for scales I typically run 3 notes per string), but I try to examine as many different tecniques as I feel I can handle and still be able to do them justice. As for picking I always assume that alternation will be the best type of picking, unless the riff is: slow, has a rhythm that is not an even subdivision, or is a specialized techinique such as sweep picking.

Take care, Chris.

Hey Chris,

Thanks for the reply and I also love the 3 note per string stuff, I tend to think of scales through the whole neck and I make sure to practice in dif keys. I have experimented with odd divisions such as 5s 7s and 9s that comes from my Shawn Lane influence. I also hear alot of what sounds like string skipping arps in your classical influenced playing am I right about that?