PRIMAL FEAR : 2014 North American tour

Also don't forget the Halford tour only lasted a few days before it stopped. I think it last less than a week actually.

Yeah, good point!! But they still got their name on a very highly advertised tour. I rememebr Behemoth VERY quickly got on a tour with Six Feet Under after that, and Amon Amarth got on a tour too.

Granted, maybe PF weren't ready yet to commit to an overseas touring schedule and this whole thing was just a one off thing where the timing worked out.

I don't think the Halford tour in full was to be more than a few weeks anyhow.

I personally think a HammerFall / Primal Fear tour would be perfect.
You would get a lot of people who may have not kept up with either band in a while going "Ok, cool!!! Perfect opportunity to see both bands"

Yeah, good point!! But they still got their name on a very highly advertised tour. I rememebr Behemoth VERY quickly got on a tour with Six Feet Under after that, and Amon Amarth got on a tour too.
Behemoth weren't on the Metal Gods tour, it was Halford, Testament, Immortal, Carnal Forge, Primal Fear, Painmuseum, and Amon Amarth.

Coincidentally, though, Amon Amarth and Behemoth had both been support on Deicide's US tour in March of 2003, a couple months before the Metal Gods tour.

Granted, maybe PF weren't ready yet to commit to an overseas touring schedule and this whole thing was just a one off thing where the timing worked out.
The Metal Gods debacle lost PF a lot of money...granted, I'm sure Amon Amarth also lost a significant amount of money, but I suspect Metal Blade was willing to put more resources into supporting them in the US than Nuclear Bast was with PF at the time (and that has obviously paid off in spades for Metal Blade).

Behemoth replaced Amon Amarth on that tour. They played the Michigan date, which I attended, and they were a hit with the (not very large) crowd. I don't know how many shows they were able to play before the tour folded.

They never really took part in a major power metal tour in the States.

Not every power metal band was a sure thing off the bat in the States.

That was the case for some bands like Nightwish and Blind Guardian.

Though others, like HammerFall, Edguy, etc, were on package tours before doing their own headline runs.

Anyhow, that's my take on it.

I just think the stars simply never aligned for that band.

The Metal Gods debacle lost PF a lot of money...granted, I'm sure Amon Amarth also lost a significant amount of money, but I suspect Metal Blade was willing to put more resources into supporting them in the US than Nuclear Bast was with PF at the time (and that has obviously paid off in spades for Metal Blade).

Yes, especially in 2002/2003!

I got to the Chicago date right when PF were leaving.
I could have sword both Behemoth and Amon Amarth played the Chicago date.

Bob (diabolik) could confirm that as I think he was there the full time.

Also - and I say this as a fan - they just aren't as good as Blind Guardian or Gamma Ray or Kamelot.

And PF has never paired up with another solid co-headliner, like the three above have all done in the past.

Sorry, I know I keep coming back to this, but I think it's a major factor.

I think people see where you are going Milton.
As a friend (if you would say we are friends), I would seriously not spend $$$ buying onto this tour. Let's be realistic. These shows simply are not going to do well.

Jason,

1. Yes, we're friends.
2. I don't think anyone sees anything, as I am merely curious about Louisville, as it's not really known for being a "metal" city.
3. I am not negotiating anything regarding this tour, with anyone.
4. Why the assumption that if I get one of my artists on a tour is through a buy on? I almost take that as a dig, even if I know you probably didn't mean it that way. Let it be known that the majority of tours I've done in the past did not require a buy on.

4. Why the assumption that if I get one of my artists on a tour is through a buy on? I almost take that as a dig, even if I know you probably didn't mean it that way. Let it be known that the majority of tours I've done in the past did not require a buy on.

No, it wasn't an assumption.......

I did take your comment to mean you may be "testing the waters" in seeing what the turnout would be.

My "buy on" comment was meant that in general, THIS tour would not be worth a buy-on. If you could get a band on it without a buy on then that's a different story.

So no, no dig at all. I of course have no knowledge or place to speak as to whether you have done buy ons or not. Once again, just simply stating that THIS tour IMHO would not be worth a buy on.

No, it wasn't an assumption.......

I did take your comment to mean you may be "testing the waters" in seeing what the turnout would be.

My "buy on" comment was meant that in general, THIS tour would not be worth a buy-on. If you could get a band on it without a buy on then that's a different story.

So no, no dig at all. I of course have no knowledge or place to speak as to whether you have done buy ons or not. Once again, just simply stating that THIS tour IMHO would not be worth a buy on.

I added a video to include with your statements that also include instructions on the proper way of back pedaling. It is very informative.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just think it is a tough market to crack being a power metal band. I honestly think a band like this would be best doing a very small club tour and just coming out and play without the bells and whistles this time around and build up from that. I think they would be better off playing smaller places to the 80 people each city in places that hold 200 or so. Rather do that than places that hold 600 and up and have it look empty.

That is just a sig waiting to happen.

First off, y'all can bite me.....

Secondly, no back peddling whatsoever.

Sounded like Milton was trying to calculate what the turnout might be.
My response was simply that this tour would not be worth a buy on if that's what he had in mind. Not sure how anyone who promotes bands could be offended by that, as "buying on" is very common practice.

That would be no different than someone saying to me, "Hey, I don't think that's a show worth playing or one worth paying to play" How could anyone in a band get offended by that? It's just common practice of which anyone might think anyone involved in the game may take part in.

I was just talking about Louisville, KY and power metal shows lately. How many people on average would you say go to a show like Primal Fear or any of the bands we would listen to here on this forum? Purely curious..

I have only been able to make a couple of shows here in Louisville, Lacuna Coil earlier this year and Kamelot/Delain this past weekend. Both had what I thought to be decent turnouts. I am not the best at estimating attendance, but I would say there were at least 300 at the Kamelot/Delain show. The area where the stage was setup at Diamonds was full of people and there were about 20-30 on the side platform. There were more for Lacuna Coil, but that is understandable since they are more known.

I missed Epica last year because they played Louisville during Thanksgiving weekend when I am out of town.

We have a few other good shows coming up that I am considering going to, Fates Warning on November 17 and Kreator/Overkill on November 21. And I will definitely be at Primal Fear.

I have only lived in Louisville for just under 2 years now, so I am not sure of turnouts for older shows.

I forgot to mention in my previous post that I did see Amaranthe in Chicago and I will say that there were more people at the Kamelot/Delain show here in Louisville then at Amaranthe. Which, I can definitely see since Kamelot is more established.