Primal Fear - Seven Seals

dill_the_devil

OneMetal.com Music Editor
Primal Fear - Seven Seals
Nuclear Blast - NB 1495-2 - 2005
By Philip Whitehouse

primalfear_sevenseals.jpg

Ah, here we go - this one practically writes itself. Primal Fear, everyone's favourite Judas Priest clones, have unleashed their sixth studio album - so, time for another round of Halford-esque screams from Scheepers, thrash-inflected heavy metal stormers and little-to-no-diversity... Hang on, what's this? They've slowed down? And Scheepers is actually singing more frequently than doing that air-raid siren/banshee wail thing? I don't remember the keyboards being this prominent before... actually, it sounds a bit like Sinner...

Welcome to the tangled ball of thoughts that rolled into one another and left this particular writer somewhat dumbstruck on my first listen to Seven Seals. It seems that Primal Fear have finally decided to push the boat out and expand their songwriting remit beyond Painkiller-aping speed metal to incorporate more expansive classic rock slow-burners, a wider vocal range and a prog-tastic atmospheric synth passage in the middle of 'Diabolus' (which, incidentally, is followed by a solo so trouser-tentingly flamboyant you'll barely be able to resist the urge to air-guitar like it's 1984). There's even a power ballad ('In Memory') complete with orchestral arrangements to close the album, and a cover of Matt Sinner's other band's 'Question Of Honour' to round things out.

Not that the speedier material has gone altogether, mind you - album opener 'Demons And Wizards' should ease existing Primal Fear fans into this new record nice and smoothly, while 'The Immortal Ones' boast a nice combination of neck-breaking riffs and whammy-barred pinch harmonics as its backbone. The production is pretty much faultless (although I miss the roaring guitar tone that the last PF album, Devil's Playground had), and the songs are catchy, engaging and varied. Overall, it seems that Primal Fear are finally beginning to realise their potential and expand their sound, yet doing so without alienating those who got them to their current position. Well worth a spin.

7.5/10

Official Primal Fear Website
Official Nuclear Blast Website