Pro Tools clicktrack from a .wav???

Gelatin

Boob inspector
Jun 10, 2002
Stockholm, Sweden
www.facebook.com
Hey guys. I just recently bought Pro Tools 9 and am a total and utter noob in Pro Tools land.

I recieved a session for mixing that includes the click track as a wave file. The band brought the clicks ready with them to the recording studio and the engineer just used those wav files. Is there any way of "converting that .wav clicktrack to a usable click track in pro tools.

yes
get rid of everything except the first 1 bar.
Set your track to 'ticks' mode. Enable Elastic audio Polyphonic mode.
Chop and quantize each click
Select from bar 1 to bar 2 and create a region group.
Select the region group and loop it to the end of the song (with the loop function).

This click track will automatically adjust with tempo changes.

But this does not work if the track has different tempos, changes in tempo within the same song, does it? You have to know how many bars are the same tempo, when it changes and preferably what the tempos actually are to make the grid accurate?

Is there a way to program the grid without knowing these things? It feels like there should be a method to do this quite easily but so far I haven't found any tips, tutorials etc. They all seem to assume that the tempo is the same throughout the song, which it is in most songs, but seldom in certain types of metal.

Cheers

But this does not work if the track has different tempos, changes in tempo within the same song, does it? You have to know how many bars are the same tempo, when it changes and preferably what the tempos actually are to make the grid accurate?

Is there a way to program the grid without knowing these things? It feels like there should be a method to do this quite easily but so far I haven't found any tips, tutorials etc. They all seem to assume that the tempo is the same throughout the song, which it is in most songs, but seldom in certain types of metal.

Cheers

The way I explained DOES indeed adjust for tempo changes.

You need to program the tempo changes yourself though, I think he wanted to stay away from that and wanted some process that would read all tempo changes from the wav file.

1) enable the "Conductor Tack"
2) Make sure "tab to transient" is on.
3) Enable "Slip Mode"
4) "Tab" to any downbeat of the click track then (holding shift) press "tab" until you have 1 measure selected.
5) press (Command/Control + T) to trim to selection.
6) drag the region to the beginning of the session.
7) press (Command/Control + I) to identify beat.
8) enter 2|1|000 for the "End Location" then press OK.

This process will calculate the tempo of an audio or MIDI region based upon the start and end locations.

When working with a selection, the identify beat command only calculates a single tempo for the selected range. If the tempo varies from measure to measure, or beat to beat, you'll need to use the identify beat command for each tempo variation. In the case of the tempo varying, Using Beat Detective will be more efficient.

- Kacey