Pro Tools HD Native Thunderbolt!

At this point, the playing field is level. The contest now is between UAD Apollo, HD Native, and of course RME's FireFace offerings. The HD Native stuff is cool if you already have boatloads of outboard, not so cool if you work primarily in the box and want high quality, transparent mic pres on your interface so you can add color later with plugins. For most of us, UAD and RME will be the way to go.

What's cool with Avid's newfound openness is that everyone wins; no longer is anyone stuck on proprietary hardware/software combinations. This also means that Avid will have to remain highly competitive in the hardware space, focusing on quality now that they no longer have the M-Audio anchor weighing them down.

At this point, the playing field is level. The contest now is between UAD Apollo, HD Native, and of course RME's FireFace offerings. The HD Native stuff is cool if you already have boatloads of outboard, not so cool if you work primarily in the box and want high quality, transparent mic pres on your interface so you can add color later with plugins. For most of us, UAD and RME will be the way to go.

What's cool with Avid's newfound openness is that everyone wins; no longer is anyone stuck on proprietary hardware/software combinations. This also means that Avid will have to remain highly competitive in the hardware space, focusing on quality now that they no longer have the M-Audio anchor weighing them down.

Comparing the Apollo and the FF series to a new PT HD system is just silly. Someone looking to get into a new HD rig is no doubt going to have superior converters, as well as pres. Of course, the system is going to be much more expensive to piece together, but we're honestly talking apples and oranges here...

The real competition is going to begin when someone (besides Avid) creates a thunderbolt interface that's capable of more than 18x18.

Well there is the Apollo now and the Apogee is on the way.
I think the real concern for Avid is that the Symphony i/o with thunderbolt may be priced comparably or less than the Avid stuff.

knew this was going to happen after someone posted an intel video . looks intresting. i think it be better to get a pci expansion chassis and the pci interface that came out a few years ago

Well there is the Apollo now and the Apogee is on the way.
I think the real concern for Avid is that the Symphony i/o with thunderbolt may be priced comparably or less than the Avid stuff.

Certainly Apollo is cool, but it can only do 18 inputs simultaneously and you're paying a premium for the internal UAD processing. A Thunderbolt-equipped interface sans UAD and with the capability to handle 24 or more inputs at 96k would be a product I'd be REALLY interested in, but doesn't currently exist. EDIT: It DOES exist, but only in the form of HD Native, which I still feel is overpriced. And I don't like the bundles.

Certainly Apollo is cool, but it can only do 18 inputs simultaneously and you're paying a premium for the internal UAD processing. A Thunderbolt-equipped interface sans UAD and with the capability to handle 24 or more inputs at 96k would be a product I'd be REALLY interested in, but doesn't currently exist. EDIT: It DOES exist, but only in the form of HD Native, which I still feel is overpriced. And I don't like the bundles.
Oops, you're right about the 18 in. I assumed you could use everything at once but it looks like not. I think the apogee should street soon but it will be quite expensive as well.