Pro Tools HD Advice

I think if you just need lots of plugins on a mix it makes more sense to upgrade your computer, but if you need to reliably do (for example) 24 in's @ 96k with low latency it's still hard to argue with HD(X).

As we talk about HD native system, is it really interesting when the computer isn't that powerful (in my case, iMac dual core 3.06gHz with 4go) ? Or buying a bigger computer and keep working on PT10 sounds like a better option? I'm talking mainly about mixing large sessions with tons of plugins.

HD native don't have any dsp power so no.
What HD native do is low latency monitoring for overdub on mix (as low as 32 to 64 samples). Also the card handle the mixer and the I/O routing.
If you mainly mixing and do some occasional vocal overdub, and don't need more than 64 I/O; HD native make sense.

I think if you just need lots of plugins on a mix it makes more sense to upgrade your computer, but if you need to reliably do (for example) 24 in's @ 96k with low latency it's still hard to argue with HD(X).

+1

With HD TDM/HDX you can have a 100+ track session running, full of plugins and hardware insert, and record 32 tracks at once without changing anything on you session, and that with close to zero latency monitoring.

Yesterday, I was at the Avid / Universal Audio Tour in Berlin...after a lot of talking with UA and testing the new Apollo and Apollo 16, I will definetly go with a Pro Tools 11 Native system + a Apollo Quad.

Fuck HDX...by the way a lot of bugs at the stage :D ...also they are still touring with the beta, so a finished version may be far away?!

In case you needed any mor pushing in the right direction, I've been swearing at an HD TDM system for the lastz6 hours because of its stupid DSP sharing/time slot shit.
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU