hardware / pro tools hd upgrade alternative ?

korbiar

Jan 27, 2011
www.myspace.com
I'm still using pro tools 8.1.1 hd on a mac osx 10.6.8
with a digi 192.

What would be my best upgrade/alternative ?

I want to upgrade my osx, so I can use plugins etc that won't work now.
But then my pro tools doesn't work anymore...

The pro tools hd 10 is a very expensive one.

Any ideas ?

Not to mention, they're on Pro Tools 12 now.

If you *need* to stay with Pro Tools, I would say get an RME interface that has all the inputs/outputs that you need and get the regular version of Pro Tools 12.
Personally, I'd dump PT completely and check out the alternatives. I sold PT 9 years ago and went with Reaper and an RME interface. (I picked up a used FF400 for $375, and Reaper was $60.) There's a bit of a learning curve in switching, but I've been using it for 3 years now and it works great for what I need, and just in software upgrade costs alone I've come out *way* ahead (and that's including the cost of the interface).

Your only options are 9 or 10. We upgraded a couple of HD8 systems to 10 recently at work due to a specific need. It's cheaper to buy the 10/11/12 HD license from AudioDeluxe than it is to get the 8 to 10 upgrade from avid.
I'm a lifetime PT user (and manage 10 HD/HDX systems) but I definitely think it's worth considering whether it's time to jump ship.

Yes, but with pro tools 12 I can't use my digi 192 hd3 setup anymore. Plugins etc won't work.

I know. Digidesign/Avid thanks you for your money.

Meanwhile people are using hardware from RME that is 10 years old and still works properly on newer computers with recent operating systems.

In other words, dump your Avid crap before it's too late.