Problem in mastering

emerica167852

Apr 6, 2010
Michigan
So i am trying to get better and louder masters mainly because im gonna be producing and recording my bands EP coming up and i want it to sound decent. My masters sound good with a decent (not too loud) volume. But it seems like whenever a bass drop or boom hits in my song, the bass end of the whole mix tends to drop out, then come back in when the drop or boom ends. Im using ozone to master with a few other plugins like bbe sonic maximizer and lp and hp.
I really havent read up or anything on mastering too much cause honestly the whole db talk and stuff confuses me. i just try to get it as loud as possible without clipping. Im really open to just any tips with mastering even though there is a million threads i can read bout it. But im really looking to solve this problem with the bass. thanks a lot

Well if you use a multiband compressor and add a big bassy boom then of course the low end of the song is going to dissapear, as you're adding loads of extra bass energy that wasn't there before so the low end compressor clamps down on it.

For getting loud masters I normally find that a bit of gentle compression and some soft clipping get's the job done.

I get around that problem with bass drops/ booms by putting a multiband compressor over the whole mix (minus the boom) with only the lowest band turned on. Then I sidechain the multiband compressor to the boom and adjust until I get a nice balance of low end when the boom occurs. The idea behind this is that the boom is the most important part of the low end at that short point of time, and with it (especially if its as loud as most want it) you are not going to be getting any definition out of the kick and bass for that second anyway. So it makes more sense to drop the low end of the kick/ bass a bit and let their definition come through in higher frequencies. It will let the sub drop appear louder while still maintaining a balance that wont fuck your mastering.