Problem running certain games on an LCD monitor

DarkBliss

...And okra for all
Jun 16, 2006
Ashdod, Mosesland
Okay,I'm having this infuriating issue with quite a few games. There are certain games that the minute I start them up on my 17" Proview monitor, I get a Mode Not Supported error.Any idea of how to fix this when there's no visible,editable video setup file for the game? It seems to be a widespread issue from what I've read around the web.
I have an Nvidia 8500 GT graphics card and in the Nvidia control panel I can choose custom video settings for all the supported games, and I can use custom resolutions and different refresh rates as well, but how do I apply them to the particular game I want to play?

some games have an option to choose between "software rendering" and "hardware rendering" or something like that. Chances are you should change that option to the software mode

I've tried reducing the hardware acceleration for the graphics card. it doesn't have any effect. The only thing that allowed one of the problematic games to run is reducing the refresh rate of the monitor from 75 to 60 Hz. I'm guessing that the preset refresh rates for the games that don't run are too high for my monitor to handle. I'll have to do some fine-tuning to figure out why the other games refuse to run. The one I'm having troubles in particular is The Chronicles of Riddick.

Are you sure you have the latest driver installed?

Also: games normally have a safe-mode which lets them run on low-requirements. Try to run it in safe-mode.

Yes, I have the latest drivers installed and the games I'm trying to run are some of the latest on the market so I don't think they have low requirements.

try going to the directory where you find the exe that runs the program, there should be an exe where you can set up the video and audio for the game too.

Change your display scaling from monitor to hardware in your nVidia Control Panel. That might work.
I don't see this option anywhere in the control panel.It looks like I'm having all these problems because WinXP didn't detect my monitor properly so it switched to default settings. As far as I know there are no official Proview drivers for XP.