New computer screen: LCD Monitor or LED-LCD TV?

I bought a 42 inch hd tv and i dont regret it because the price was great. As soon as i can though, i am moving it to my living room or whatever and buying a proper computer monitor.
The tv works great for movies and games but not work.

Goodluck!

Just a quick chime in.

I tried both a 42" and a 32" a short while back in a similar experiment....

At first I was like "cool" , and then I realised after about 10 minutes I was eithe nauseous or dizzy, or my eyes felt like they were overwhelmed even at a low brightness.

It's a no brainer for me now. So I went and bought 2 CHEAP 24" LC screens flanking a high quality 24" IPS based screen (1900x1200) and it worked out great!

It's hard to find a 1900x1200 res monitor nowadays, seems like everythign is cheap TN based 1080p screens. Love the IPS screen for my graphic work though!

No worries man- that's exactly what I'm trying to figure out myself ;)

I would say for mixing -or reading- in 1080p with a 27'' monitor, a comfortable distance would be 60cms (or 0.6 meters / 2 feet, from your eyes to the screen, that is). A meter is almost double that distance, too far away IMO.

Hmm... are you sure? My monitor is 23" and it has 2048x1152 resolution. It's placed exactly 60cm from my eyes and it looks great. I figured a monitor 4" bigger with a smaller resolution would have to be placed farther. I'll try to google some info.

Edit: I found some calculator but it's probably more for TV than studio work:
http://www.hdhes.com/tv/hdtvviewdistance.aspx

About 60 cm I would think it's the best distance to be from any computer monitor. If you have a 23'' SET at that resolution (stating the really obvious here, but you could have the monitor set at less resolution) it's still going to be readable, but you will have to make a visual effort, and I prefer comfort over a bigger work area. With 27'' I could be trying out higher than 1080 though, if the monitor supports it (those 27'' I've looked at have a recommended res of 1080).

Btw- I'm always very surprised to see photos of studios here on the forum with 20'' (or less) monitors placed at 1.5 meters or more from the chair. I guess it makes the studio look more 'pro'? :lol:
I'm always going to put my eyes' comfort first, though.