LCD PC Monitor Acting weird???

Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, OH
www.myspace.com
I went to turn my shit on and my main Monitor its an 20inch LG Flatron and i got no screen but when i turn it off and turn it back on i get a flash of everything and it looks perfect.....so i tried the monitor in 2 other PC's with the same result.......i just find it weird that it flash perfectly ......so i did some searching and i found a post that said this...

the monitor is 3 yrs old.

Sounds like the back light inverter board is bad.

It's a very common problem.

LCD's use four small cold compact fluorescent bulbs to back light the display. (thats what gives the LCD it's brightness allowing you to see it)

The inverter board runs these lights and when they go bad they will typically show symptoms like you have or the monitor power light comes on and you have either no display or a very dim display.

If you ever have one that has no display but the power light is on you can check by shining a flashlight directly into the LCD from the front (right into the screen) if you can see an image then it's either the inverter board (most likely) or the CCFL bulbs have gone bad.

The inverter board and CCFL's are replaceable.

My main question is has anyone had this happend to them? and how hard is it to replace it? and is it worth replacing?

i havent tried the flashlight thingie yet...i'll hook it up again tommorrow

thanks for any advice

Sorry to say, but I'd just get a new monitor. An used 20" LG shouldn't cost shit and you could also consider upgrading to a larger monitor.

edit. I read your post again and noticed it works either way, so I guess you wouldn't NEED to buy a new one but, nevertheless I'd buy a new one

hi zombie

i done some research on the net and i found some instruction on how to change an inverter board

see link: http://www.instructables.com/id/Change_inverter_in_LCD_desktop_screen/

it doesn't look like its too difficult to do. a few notes - you said your monitor is 3 years old. most warranty's last 1 year, some last 3 years, some 5 and some 10+ so check how long your warranty lasts. you may be entitled to a free repair. if you are do not even attempt to put a screw driver near your monitor as you will immediatly void your warranty in most cases.

if it is out of warranty and you can find a new board cheap enough (say under 150) then most defintly change the board. it would save you money in the long run. if a new board is going to go above that price my reccomendation is take it outside with a baseball bat and go have some fun.. afterwards just count your losses and buy a new monitor. ebay have some going pretty cheap (new) also try dell, they may have a special offer running

im not a fan of dell computers but their monitors are always nice IMHO