Anyone using a big LCD tv as monitor?

Tech talk aside--my 37" screen is clear as day, be as technical as you want as to why it should look bad (and I understand what you're saying, essentially 1 pixel is stretched to twice the size)--it doesn't. I need a big screen to edit photos, and it works great. What is the point of ultra high resolution if the screen is so small you can't see anything?
Me too. I run my MBPro through my 46" all of the time --generally for movies but sometimes for other stuff--- and it looks fine. Granted I'm 10x farther away but isn't that the point?

Granted I'm 10x farther away but isn't that the point?

Not necessarily - I think the OP was talking about just plopping a 30"+ LCD on his desk, and I know some folks on here have done just that! Personally, I think I could only handle 27" max at that distance...

In contrast, my 24" monitor runs at 1980x1200 - which at 96ppi means the image is 23.6". So whilst my main screen is running at virtually 1:1, yours is running at 1:2.4. It's like get a photo enlarged - you don't lose any detail, but because everything is bigger, any lack of detail is far more obvious. By having a screen that big with the same resolution as a 17" monitor, all you do is dilute the detail that's already there - you can't display any more, you just stretch out what you've got over 4 times the area. Then, to make it look as good as a screen half the size, you have to put it as least twice as far away.

couldn't have said it better and you beat me to it :kickass:

What is the point of ultra high resolution if the screen is so small you can't see anything?

if you can't see anything on a 24"+ screen, you really need to get some glasses. And resolution has nothing to do with actual screen size. Since 42" HDTV and a 24" monitor have the same resolution, everything on the TV is being blown up while the monitor is at a native resolution, the result, IF you have a quality monitor up to a HDTV, the monitor will look much better since you are not magnifying the picture. In order to see the picture with the same detail you need to be much further away from the TV. As Monitors are for close range (thats why they have such a high resolution) and TV's are for more distant viewing. That is why the lower resolution, as at the correct watching distance for a TV is at a point where the human eye can't see the difference in a higher resolution. However at 1 foot away, massive difference in the quality.

Not necessarily - I think the OP was talking about just plopping a 30"+ LCD on his desk, and I know some folks on here have done just that! Personally, I think I could only handle 27" max at that distance...

Yeah I have a 24" monitor and it would be a pain to use anything bigger than a 30", the largest they make for monitors. The only time I used a TV was when I was watching movies on the internet (netflix, don't want to hear "pirating" BS) and while I used the computer I was a good 5 feet way at least, if not more and my big gripe about the resolution was that all the icons were retardedly large relative the the screen area, it looked like a handicapped resolution for old people.

honestly though at the end of the day, do you really need anything bigger than 30 fucking inches when its going to be on your desk no further than a foot from you? No, its just useless, I can understand having a 42" TV up on a wall a few feet back from your desk so you have more room, but a screen that big in you face, talk about eye strain.

Blah blah blah, goddamn, do I have to say for the 50th time that I edit photos and that's why I use such a large screen? I seriously bet if you sat a 24" uber resolution next to my screen you would not be able to discern any difference in quality

I think there needs to be a delineation between WHY someone wants to use a larger monitor.

In my mind, someone who think they can use 1 large monitor to take the place of 2 smaller ones has to sit and think about it...Say you use a 21" LCD that has a resolution of 1920x1080....You move up to a 42" 1080p thinking it will give you more area to work with...It won't, as the resolution will be the same. The difference will ONLY be that the stuff you see on the bigger screen will be bigger.

You would get the same benefit of the larger monitor simply by sitting closer to the smaller one.

To increase the SURFACE AREA of the workspace displayed on your monitor, you have to increase the resolution...And, in order to make it as easily viewable as the 21" monitor at 1920 x1080, you'd need a bigger monitor.

A larger screen size just in no way gives you more surface area to work with if you only compare sizes...it's the resolution that counts. I don't know of any TV format "monitors" that currently output more than 1080p. However, I have seen some computer LCD's that output at 1440.

What's the absolute cheapest display I can get that will do 2560 x 1600? Cheapest I can find is like $1500, where I could get a 27" iMac for $1700 that will perform better than my Macbook Pro and support that resolution for only $200 more...

I think there needs to be a delineation between WHY someone wants to use a larger monitor.

In my mind, someone who think they can use 1 large monitor to take the place of 2 smaller ones has to sit and think about it...Say you use a 21" LCD that has a resolution of 1920x1080....You move up to a 42" 1080p thinking it will give you more area to work with...It won't, as the resolution will be the same. The difference will ONLY be that the stuff you see on the bigger screen will be bigger.

You would get the same benefit of the larger monitor simply by sitting closer to the smaller one.

To increase the SURFACE AREA of the workspace displayed on your monitor, you have to increase the resolution...And, in order to make it as easily viewable as the 21" monitor at 1920 x1080, you'd need a bigger monitor.

A larger screen size just in no way gives you more surface area to work with if you only compare sizes...it's the resolution that counts. I don't know of any TV format "monitors" that currently output more than 1080p. However, I have seen some computer LCD's that output at 1440.

+1. Bigger TV does not mean more virtual surface area. Using a TV is the same as using a magnifying glass, and nothing more. Since they are the same resolution, you are blowing up the image. Haven't any of you seen what happens when you zoom in on a photo? It gets blurry and pixelated, a higher resolution prevents that however using a TV will magnify the image making it more blurry at the same viewing distance as the same resolution monitor. A TV does not give you a larger work area, it simply takes the limited space available and stretches the image

@nwright: The don't make TV's with higher resolutions because when using video only, even at 5 ft away, the human eye can't tell a difference between 720 and 1080. On top of that the human eye will not be able to tell the difference of any resolution higher unless of course you are literally a few inches away from the monitor, but at normal TV viewing distances, completely unnoticeable. And all you would be doing is wasting a shitload more money to get a resolution that you can't see a difference on. That is why there has been talk about making the technology to give the viewer a 3D experience

Plus my clients are much more impressed viewing their product on a huge screen than a tiny one

You or your clients must have a really small penis :lol:

What's the absolute cheapest display I can get that will do 2560 x 1600? Cheapest I can find is like $1500, where I could get a 27" iMac for $1700 that will perform better than my Macbook Pro and support that resolution for only $200 more...

where have you been looking 30" monitors start in the $500 or so range

I would rather see the picture in the highest native resolution possible, and if I saw a possible client using anything over 30" as a desk monitor, I wouldn't work with them, seem more like showing off how big or how much gear they can get for clients' "wow" factor. A monitor on the desk with a HDTV on the wall some distance away for everyone to see, cool, but using a TV as a main desk monitor.

A picture won't show how good it looks, a screenshot of the desktop would be better.

@nwright: The don't make TV's with higher resolutions because when using video only, even at 5 ft away, the human eye can't tell a difference between 720 and 1080. On top of that the human eye will not be able to tell the difference of any resolution higher unless of course you are literally a few inches away from the monitor, but at normal TV viewing distances, completely unnoticeable. And all you would be doing is wasting a shitload more money to get a resolution that you can't see a difference on. That is why there has been talk about making the technology to give the viewer a 3D experience

IIRC, they are developing 1440p HD.

The human eye most definitely can distinguish between 720 and 1080, especially with text, and obviously the difference increases as screen size does

I would rather see the picture in the highest native resolution possible, and if I saw a possible client using anything over 30" as a desk monitor, I wouldn't work with them, seem more like showing off how big or how much gear they can get for clients' "wow" factor. A monitor on the desk with a HDTV on the wall some distance away for everyone to see, cool, but using a TV as a main desk monitor.

A picture won't show how good it looks, a screenshot of the desktop would be better.

I don't get how this is objective at all compared to a picture but whatever, I'm done arguing

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/5281/picture1cvn.png

Exactly what is a screen shot going to do being itll end up being whatever resolution YOUR screen is at wouldnt it? The only way to truely tell would be to physically see it in person