Problem with mixing Guitars and Drums

teokouts

New Metal Member
Hi guys. I have a problem with a mix I am prepairing. As the title says I don't think that the Guitar sound is fitting well with the drums sound. In the link below you can hear a sample of the track.

MIX TEST

DRUMS ONLY

GUITAR ONLY

I think the drums sound is good for my taste and the guitar tone is close to what I want to achieve but I don't know if the fit together. So I would like your opinions on this and I also provided down the drums along with the dry GTR DI tracks in case anyone wants to experiment with them and suggest a better result. Thanks in advance

ZIP FILE WITH DRUMS AN DRY DI TRACKS
PHP:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/qpv0pbtkqqkcv7i/%CE%9D%CE%AD%CE%BF_WinRAR_archive.rar

Last edited by a moderator:
To my ears, the guitars sound too bright and the drums sound too dull. I think a bass track with some distortion down the center would probably help add glue, but you should probably still change up your drum/guitar sound. I'd reamp the guitars with less treble. On the drums, make sure everything is adequately high-passed (I usually do about 35 hz on the kick, 100 hz snare/toms/room, 500 hz overheads), but it never hurts to put a high shelf of about 3 db on the drum bus around 8khz to give everything some sparkle. The reverb is also kind of flubby; I would play with the pre-delay and decay time, and high-pass it to about 200. You can even add a transient designer on the reverb bus before the snare sound hits the reverb to make it snap. I would also send some of the reverb and room mic to a parallel bus and slam it to make it explode when the snare is hit.

Thanks for the response!!!! I 'll try what you proposed me and let you know about the results. If you want could you try a simple guitar mix with the di track I provided so that I could have something to compare mine to?

Here is a new mix using the tips from He's Dead, Jim. Tell me what you think if you have time

Drums sound a lot tighter, but I would reduce the volume of the kick. Guitars are still much too shrill to my ears- use a reference mix like the beginning of Trivium's Strife to figure out what character the high end of the guitars should have. That album has a very tight, aggressive, thrashy and bright sound similar to what I think you're shooting for. Much improved, though!

BTW, this should be in practice room.

When using this reference mix you say should I do it with this chain?

guitar di ---> amp---> cabinet----> eq matching

or at the guitar bus group??

okay I get it now. The chain would be guitar di ---> amp---> cabinet IR (eq matched IR). What guitar amp is that anyway? It sounds horrible, I like it.

When using this reference mix you say should I do it with this chain?

guitar di ---> amp---> cabinet----> eq matching

or at the guitar bus group??

I'm not necessarily suggesting you use EQ matching per se. What I'm saying is that you should look at a frequency spectrum analysis of the guitars in that song and then compare them to yours, and cut your treble accordingly. Or just use your ears. You don't need to use a match EQ to get a good tone. If you do want to use match EQ, just google how to make an impulse out of the guitars in the song. Once you create the impulse, it's DI --> amp --> impulse response.

how about this mix??? I checked with spectrum analyzer according to strife and I came up with this. I think its good.

It's better but everything is still too bright IMO but it's also hard to know without a bass in there as well.

Back