Problems with my 7-string

Ermz

¯\(°_o)/¯
Apr 5, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.myspace.com
I've had a Schecter C-7 Hellraiser for well over 2 years now. As early as I can recall I've had issues with obscene fret buzz around the low B and E strings (and to a smaller degree the A as well). I don't really care about the buzz, acoustically... however, the pickups actually pick it up and it sounds like a scratching sound through the amp whenever I play muted notes on either of the those strings.

Now I've had my guitar set-up by 2 different guitar techs, and even re-fretted recently with stainless steel fret wire. Neither of them have been able to get rid of the buzz to a satisfactory degree. The last, who is well renowned down here, told me that he couldn't get the guitar set up as good as he wanted due to the lower strings apparently having more relief on this neck or something.

Now I was wondering if any of you 7-stringers have run into similar issues? It virtually rules my guitar out completely as a studio instrument as it just destroys the rhythm tone. I'd like to know if there's any way at all of getting rid of it, or whether it's a design fault on behalf of the guitar... as I've noted in some of the instructional videos Loomis has played on you can hear that very same fret buzz.

same issue with my ibanez. raising action works , but makes it unplayable. i was told that unfortunately it couldnt be helped because of the tension 7 strings create. sorry i couldnt help, just sharing your frustration!!!

p.s my watson 7 string does not have this symptom :err:

From my experience this a caused by either the neck has a slight twist or the fretts havent been crowned properly. Slight height adjustment to the bridge may help. Or if its closer to the nut you may need to replace the nut as it may have been cut to deep.

That might not be about the fret buzz at all, but the EMG 707's. They have this weird overtone to them, which often comes out with certain EQ or low gain settings.

I also have a Hellraiser C-7, but the overtone doesen't really come out that much with my Triple Recto or my Invader, so it doesen't bother me.

From my experience this a caused by either the neck has a slight twist or the fretts havent been crowned properly. Slight height adjustment to the bridge may help. Or if its closer to the nut you may need to replace the nut as it may have been cut to deep.

The nut seems the most likely case. If not, then possibly the neck.

Thanks for all your feedback guys. I'll get in touch with the guitar tech again and see what he thinks. I'm just afraid that nothing can be done and I'll have to can this guitar. Apart from this issue, I totally love it. It plays like a dream now and sounds just like I want a metal guitar to sound.

The buzzing can only be caused by a few things. Neck, frets, nut, pickups or bridge.

Try to locate were the buzz is coming from. Is it all frets? Also raise the bridge on the lower strings a little.

I had something installed under the nut (I think it is called a shim) on one of 7 strings. I raised the action just slightly and got rid of the buzz that I was having.

(I was experiencing fret buzz close to the nut.)

I had something installed under the nut (I think it is called a shim)

I also had that done to my old Jackson PS2 under the locking nut. I believe the shop called it a shim also. That was Deluxe Guitars in South Melb if you're interested Ermin. It sounds like it could fix your problem, and I never actually thought about it untill Zack here mentioned it because it was one of the less obvious things done to the guitar.

If you're buying prepackaged 7 string sets, stop.

The low E has less tension than the A (2-3 pounds, usually) and the low B has less tension than that. With the 10-46+56 or 10-46+59 sets your strings will be about as tight as Jar-Jar Binks. That's the first thing I'd check.

After that, check the nut and the truss rod.

Jeff

Now I was wondering if any of you 7-stringers have run into similar issues? It virtually rules my guitar out completely as a studio instrument as it just destroys the rhythm tone. I'd like to know if there's any way at all of getting rid of it, or whether it's a design fault on behalf of the guitar... as I've noted in some of the instructional videos Loomis has played on you can hear that very same fret buzz.

Like I said, it has to do with the 707's, Loomis uses them too in the video you were talking about.

It is this weird, scratchy overtone that seems to come from nowhere. It's not because of the fret buzz, it's just the pickups. Different EQ settings usually help.

It's not the pickups, Tom. The thought had crossed my mind, but I can hear the exact same fret scratching acoustically coming from the guitar, as is coming from the amp. It isn't something that the 707 is creating, rather just conveying the guitar sound as it is... which is what it rightly should do.

I had something installed under the nut (I think it is called a shim) on one of 7 strings. I raised the action just slightly and got rid of the buzz that I was having.

(I was experiencing fret buzz close to the nut.)

it's called a zero fret

No, not quite.

A shim goes under your nut to make up for a cut that's too deep. A zero fret is a system that replaces the nut with a fret and a sortofnutbutnotreally that holds the strings in place.

Jeff

It's not the pickups, Tom. The thought had crossed my mind, but I can hear the exact same fret scratching acoustically coming from the guitar, as is coming from the amp. It isn't something that the 707 is creating, rather just conveying the guitar sound as it is... which is what it rightly should do.

I can vouch for this too. I remember when Moonlapse and I were doing some recording with it and it was only coming through the amp on notes where there was acoustic fret buzz.

Yeah Dan's on the money there.

Anyhow guys, where the hell can I get D'Addario singles from online? My last resort was their site but it seems you can only get packs there now?

What I'm thinking of doing is getting 10 EXL140 packs and 10 .060's (or perhaps heavier, depending on if I'm swayed here toward a heavier gauge low B being better).

No, not quite.

A shim goes under your nut to make up for a cut that's too deep. A zero fret is a system that replaces the nut with a fret and a sortofnutbutnotreally that holds the strings in place.

Jeff

ah...i see now, totally missed "under the nut" part
they both seem to want to do the same thing