Guitar String Cleaning Products....Recommendations

Hey lads,

I just put £40 worth of strings on my Guitar and Bass yesterday, and i need to start investigating different string cleaning products,

I've had a GHS Fast Fret for the past while, though it's pretty worn down now and i need to either get a new one, or switch to something that may be more effective.

frankly, i'm not entirely convinced by the Fast Fret, seems to work reasonably well but i get the feeling i could do better, and i really want to keep these lovely new strings in top condition for as long as possible.

please give your experiences of different products and recommend

:)

hmm.. Intreguing

I'm aware that one's own body chemistry will have the most bearing on string life, so what i'm really looking for is opinions on the different types of "string cleaning" process.

like how i've been using the Fast Fret for a while, but apparently there are other methods, like alcohol-soaked wipes, that may (or indeed may not) be more effective than what i've been using.

I've never really bothered with cleaning my strings with anything - I kill them so quickly it's really not worth the hassle for the extra life I get.

I got some Planet Waves String Cleaner recently though as I saw it on offer and thought I'd give it a shot. It seemed to work pretty well, it cleaned up slightly rusted strings with no effort. However, there's so many warnings and notices on the label I feel like I should have goggles and a lab technician supervising me when I use it.

Steve

Just a quick question... what strings are you using?

The reason I ask is, I just put new strings on my Les Pauls. I put the old strings on my guitar in February. They've been through two studio sessions and a fuckload of writing/rehearsals/gigs and they were reasonably ok when I took them off. I sweat a lot when playing. They still sounded good.

Get some Elixirs or other coated strings. When I was using Ernie Balls, I'd change them every month.

rubbing alcohol + those clamp style string cleaners + elixirs = decent life for me. However, when doing any recording, those same strings usually need to be replaced for intonation / tone reasons. For practice and such though, I can make min elast a long time with alc plus cleaning them!

I just use a cleaning cloth at the end of every session, sometimes during and that seems to work quite well. I change strings about every 3 months anyway as i start to get some fret buzz after that so the cloth is enough for that period of time.

I never clean my strings or guitars! Im a lazy bastard, I know. I do change my strings every other rehersal or before a show (always). I always change for every song while tracking in a studio to keep my tone consistent. Im such a ham-fisted gorilla, I end up breaking them before they get too dirty anyways!

I recently started using ghs Fast fret and it makes a lot of difference for me. Typically my strings go dead in the first day or two of playing so for recording I really like the product. It doesn't keep the same brightness on REALLY thick strings (I rock a .58 on the low b) but i think is worth it. You'll still probably need to change strings about as often but it will improve your tone and make it more consistent. Hope this helps.

Cheers,
George.