Strings for schecter loomis

Skanabanugan

New Metal Member
Mar 26, 2008
I've read that Jeff Loomis uses 10-52 + 70 on his seven string and tunes to Bb. I would like to try the same setup but can't seem to find where I can buy a 70 by itself plus wouldn't it be a bad idea to get 2 different string brands? I was looking at the ghstnt but only can find a 70 in a ghs zakwylde set. Any ideas on what strings and where to buy them I live in cali btw. Would that size string gauge be to hard on the guitar? Also I'm typing this on my phone so if its messed up sorry. -Thx Shane

I use that same setup. There shouldn't be a problem with using two different brands. I use ernie ball 10-52 and GHS .70 and I haven't noticed any problems. The strings won't be hard on a Loomis schecter. Or any schecter (I have a C7 blackjack). But they may be hard on your fingers so you might need a while to get used to them. Also keep in mind that schecter 7strings have a longer neck scale which makes the string tension even higher.

You could also just buy a bass string...

The 70 would be a D string on a medium gauge set for bass. I don't think it would be THAT hard to find.

You could also just buy a bass string...

The 70 would be a D string on a medium gauge set for bass. I don't think it would be THAT hard to find.

I've done this before. On my old crappy Jackson 7-string, I had some ungodly huge gauges up and down, and a .80 on the low B. The ball is much larger for a bass string, so it didn't even fit through the body. I had to gouge the nut a little, and REALLY fought to get it through the tuning peg. In the end, that string had almost zero presence compared to the other six. I only ever did this once. That guitar is now high-strung 8-46, EADGBEA, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

I won't say it hasn't worked for anyone else, but let me just say that my Hellraiser 7 sounds and feels just fine with 10-56.

9,11,16,24,32,42,56 here in standard B tuning on my Loomis 7. They ship it with 10's in standard tuning, which is a bit heavy for fast leads. No problem with the 56 on the low B here, it sounds massive and stays in tune perfectly.

Bb tuning is a bit low and muddy for me to want to stay in full-time. I'm thinking about getting another Loomis 7 (fixed bridge this time, as opposed to the floyd, just to have an alternate feel) to play around with heavier strings and ultra-low tunings in (F#, etc.)

I've done this before. On my old crappy Jackson 7-string, I had some ungodly huge gauges up and down, and a .80 on the low B. The ball is much larger for a bass string, so it didn't even fit through the body. I had to gouge the nut a little, and REALLY fought to get it through the tuning peg. In the end, that string had almost zero presence compared to the other six. I only ever did this once. That guitar is now high-strung 8-46, EADGBEA, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

I won't say it hasn't worked for anyone else, but let me just say that my Hellraiser 7 sounds and feels just fine with 10-56.
Yeah, not a fan of super-thick strings either, just stating a possibilty. :)

Highest I've gone is a 13-59's on Drop Bb. Didn't like it.

Thx for the tips u guys rock. Now your making me second guess going with the larger gauge strings:lol: I have a feeling I'll have to buy some heavier gauge springs for the floyd if go with the 70. Do u guys jam something under the floyd so it doesn't move and change one string at a time? Im not really familiar with floyd roses especially on 7-stringers.

i don't think loomis uses a 70 on the low Bb anymore. especially since he uses the floyd rose model now most of the time.

on my non trem loomis i use 10 to 56 half a step down and it has a good amount of tension. 70 just seems crazy with 26 1/2 scale and floyd rose to me.