Schecter Loomis Tone

Thanks for your replies Matt and Soul Forlon. Pretty much exactly what I was after ha.
My old lead guitarist has a lower end Ibanez Prestige that he recommends. I do like it and like Ibanez's but I cant imagine it being too different to the Ibanez I've got now. Kind of looking for a general change from Ibanez and the playing rut i'm in aswell I guess.
The RG2627ZE you mention looks fantastic Matt but very pricey ha. I'd love to try one but it looks like they're discontinued now aswell, I wouldn't have much look finding one.

I saw this video of Josh from Sylosis demoing the 57/66 pups which is pretty much what you said Soul Forlorn.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whAIVyLr23Y

How much did you pay for your Loomis? Have you got a picture of it also? Here in the UK the best price for a set neck 2014 model is around £800/$1345.
I think I just need to try it and see what I think. I do love my 81-7/707 but I think maybe some more passive sounding compromise like the 57/66's might help me tighten up my playing.

Thanks for your replies Matt and Soul Forlon. Pretty much exactly what I was after ha.
My old lead guitarist has a lower end Ibanez Prestige that he recommends. I do like it and like Ibanez's but I cant imagine it being too different to the Ibanez I've got now. Kind of looking for a general change from Ibanez and the playing rut i'm in aswell I guess.
The RG2627ZE you mention looks fantastic Matt but very pricey ha. I'd love to try one but it looks like they're discontinued now aswell, I wouldn't have much look finding one.

I saw this video of Josh from Sylosis demoing the 57/66 pups which is pretty much what you said Soul Forlorn.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whAIVyLr23Y

How much did you pay for your Loomis? Have you got a picture of it also? Here in the UK the best price for a set neck 2014 model is around £800/$1345.
I think I just need to try it and see what I think. I do love my 81-7/707 but I think maybe some more passive sounding compromise like the 57/66's might help me tighten up my playing.

Happy to help. The RG2627ZE was the result of me purchasing a lower end Ibanez from Sweetwater (around $1,000.00) that was simply horrible. Neck was twisted and the fretwork was awful. Unplayable. I wanted a different guitar that was similar to it but with EMG 707s in it. My rep at Sweetwater suggested the RG2627ZE and told me that it would be in a completely different ballpark and he was right. It's the first guitar I've ever owned that I didn't want to change in any way.

Yeah, it is pricey and it just became discontinued. But don't be fooled, don't think all Ibanez guitars are created equal. They are not. Not by a long shot. The RG2627ZE for instance is made in Japan, and is a Prestige instrument and it's also a Team J Craft product. Most Ibanez are not held to this quality level.

I'm pretty unhappy with the direction it appears Ibanez are going sadly. I've been playing them for over 25 years.

I have yet to play one, but if I end up purchasing anything in the future, I think I'll be looking into Strandberg guitars.

Good luck.

I bought mine from Sweetwater (special order) for $1049, which is basically the standard price for the hardtail in the US. I don't have a pic available right now (I'm at work) but it looks just like the ones on the Schecter website. Black is black. They'll all look the same.

Personally, I find the 57/66 PUs easier to play because they respond better to how hard you pick. I find the 81-7/707 a little harder to control because it seems like they're just "full on" all the time.

Well my plans of owning the Loomis have fallen through. The price is now £1000 ($1680) in the UK for the hardtail. Pretty ridiculous considering in the US Soul Forlorn paid $1050 for the same guitar. No currency conversion there? Well I'm currently looking for 7 string hard tail alternatives. Had a look for some japanese ibanez's but can only find floating bridges. And even then they're pretty scarce.
Had a look at the Jackson SLATTXMG3-7 but already I can tell it doesn't look that great to play, and the demo videos online tend to support that.

So...just resurrecting this if thats ok... Was hoping for a bit of advice.

I managed to get a Loomis original 7FR off ebay a few months back.
Haven't really had a chance to play with it much until the last few weeks.

I hated the 707 in the bridge, and eventually changed it with the 81-7 from my cheap ibanez 7.
I played with it through my 5150 combo when the 707 was still there and there was this horrible boomy low end around 300Hz.
Since changing to the 81-7, most things seem to be ok, except when I play open E (second thickest string).
There seems to be a horrible resonance, only on that note/string. Playing that note on the B string doesn't create the same resonance.

I've recorded a super quick clip if anyone could have a quick check.
I recorded the audio via my phone as well as a DI as its midnight here and I don't have much recording capabilities where I am now, but the resonance is clearly audible.
Here is the phone audio:
https://soundcloud.com/pman-6/schecter
Until 0:29, i am playing things around the 2nd fret of the E string. After 0:29 i chug some open E string which is where the resonance is present.
If anyone is interested enough and could help me out, I have uploaded the DI here for further analysis.
http://www.mediafire.com/listen/7ddyj1g11398g40/schectertest2DI.wav

I am considering selling the guitar if this is unavoidable. I guess its a bad piece of ash based on whats been said in this thread so far.
Cheers