Need some advice on 7 string lefty.

guitarklown

Sep 2, 2009
So, Christmas is coming up, the family is gonna be giving me some money to dispose of, so I'm finally gonna buy my first 7 string. I kinda have 2 guitars in mind (there's really not many to choose from in Lefty)
I'm kinda stuck between these two:

http://www.sabaturproaudio.com/Sche...ure-7-String-Electric-WFloyd-Rose_p_3645.html
http://www.sabaturproaudio.com/Left...R-7-String-Guitar-With-Floyd-Rose_p_3771.html

Only difference is the Maple neck and the missing tone knob on the Loomis, and the finish on the Loomis body is a little iffy to me. The Hellraiser also has 707TW in it.

whats your budget? i have a framus diablo custom 7, simply the best 7string i`ve ever played!

btw. be very carefull with the licensed FR-Trems on 7strings. the material of the "base-plate" is not strong enough for the heavy string-tension. after a while, the "mounting-edges" will worn out and the guitar is no longer tuning-stable. i had to replace two 7string licenced FRs with original ones, expensive shit....

You could also wait a while until schecter releases its 2012 guitar line...I've seen some pics on facebook and seems like there will be some interesting new additions.
386679_330699603613524_131382650211888_1613708_11317474_n.jpg

378947_334451309905020_131382650211888_1625556_1232414504_n.jpg

This looks cool...I assume there will be a 7string version

That blue one looks amazing.. If that thing comes in a lefty 7 and, by the looks of it, has an ebony fretboard, it shall definitely be mine.

Lefty here. Yeah selection sucks for us....imo the Schecters mostly look the same as far as shapes go, and the necks always seem to bulky for me as I like the Wizard style thin necks. If you're on a budget you may want to look into Agile, they make alot of lefty guitars in differing styles and have 7 strings. Just an option if you haven't heard of them.

http://www.rondomusic.com/electricguitarleft.html

I really like this one:
septorelite727dncebblackflameleft1.jpg

k.h.e. I'm looking for something around the $1000 mark.

I really like the Agile's, The features really can't be beat for the money, but the shipping cost of $200 (I live in Newfoundland) is a nice chunk of change that could go in to another guitar with free or much lower shipping.
I was also looking at this one.. http://www.schecterguitars.com/International/Products/Guitar/Hellraiser-C-7-FR.aspx It's got 707TW, grovers, and a Floyd Rose 1000, plus it's the exact same finish that my 006 Elite has.
Only thing I don't like are the inlays.

Lefty here too!

I got an old schecter c7 for cheap on ebay. I changed the electronic/pickups and a friend who build guitars made a custom neck for me. The guitar ended up really great!! But for the trouble I should bought an agile hehehe

Have you take a look at carvin? they ship from usa but they are really canadian friendly, the custom fees are included in the shipping and they are pretty low

btw. be very carefull with the licensed FR-Trems on 7strings. the material of the "base-plate" is not strong enough for the heavy string-tension. after a while, the "mounting-edges" will worn out and the guitar is no longer tuning-stable. i had to replace two 7string licenced FRs with original ones, expensive shit....

I've played some shitty FRs in my time, but the one on my Schecter Hellraiser C-7 is fucking great. I've been beating the shit out of it for a few years now and I haven't had any problems with it.

EDIT:
Only difference is the Maple neck and the missing tone knob on the Loomis, and the finish on the Loomis body is a little iffy to me. The Hellraiser also has 707TW in it.

The Loomis also has an ash body which gives it a different tone. I have the C-7 FR that you're looking at and I'm EXTREMELY happy with it.

the other day a local music shop got some new schecters including the hellraiser 7 and loomis sig. I went in not planning to buy anything and expecting the hellraiser to sound better as well. The reson for that is there was a shootout on this forum between the two; sadly i missed it (its no longer available) but it was said that the hellraiser turned out much better.
However i compared the two and surprisingly i really preffered the loomis so much that i bought it right away though i was keeping the money for some other gear purchase (that i need more. and still do haha) and that i wouldnt buy a signature guitar as my next purchase.
The hellraiser seemed more bassy but more muddy as well. The loomis sounded tighter to me and had btter note projection if that means anything.
Of course its my taste and you could not agree but you should at least try and listen to them for yourself.

PS: i also bought that guitar because all my other 7 are passive pickups, bolt on, basswood body rosewood fretboard. and this one is none of that so its good to have a different sound. Im telling you all that because i wanted to stress on the "different sound" part. Else i wouldve preferred the ibanez RGD2127Z (though i thought i wouldnt go back to ibanez but i love this one!) as my MAIN guitar (or my EBMM) but that's just me, you might not.

So definitely check out the ibby if you can squeeze in a bit more money!

Either way gluck on your quest (dont you just love it!) and let us know what you end up with.

Thanks for the replies guys.. I would definitely go for a higher end guitar if I had the money, but the shortage of money and being a lefty and wanting a an original FR kinda puts a pretty big limit on what I can buy.
I know this is a silly question rispsira, but how does the Loomis compare to the EBMM? Just wondering if it's going to be bright and twangy with the maple neck. I really love the EBMM sound, but could never afford one.
I have a D-sonic in my 006 Elite, I love the tone I get from it, but wondering what the EMG 707 does. I won't have a chance to play any guitar I buy because I would have to special order it in or just buy it online.. No
stores carry lefties here.

Hey dont worry about it man i think youre budget is good enough to help you find a guitar that suits your needs but i understand finding a lefty is not easy. It always sucks when you need something and there isnt a large market for that. Like when i wanted to buy my first 7 string guitar i looked everywhere but they all felt like toys because the market for 7s was really small.. was pretty tough

Anyway im going to be completely honest with you i have compared the loomis with the hellraiser in the store but have not compared it to my ebmm yet because i just recently bought the Loomis and the ebmm has been sitting untouched until i set it up (was waiting for some custom strings sadly) but i should do that early next week.

of course one thing to bare in mind is the differences stated above in my post in wood etc so it is bound to sound different and probably in the way you mentionned, but i dont want to describe anything i havent compared (guitars right after each other and not from memory), so ill let you know early next week if its not too late for you.

To put all of this in another way i have not answered your question which concerns the TONE difference mainly..... but i will compare soon. I am pretty sure i know the difference from memory but i would not tell someone who is considering buying something and misguide him so ill get back to you soon.

Can you tell me what kind of music and tone you like?

I won't be buying a guitar until after Christmas anyway so I definitely have time to look around and make the best decision.. I'm a big DT fan, I know the best route for that would be to just save up and buy a MM.
The real reason I'm looking for something with a FR (apart from wanting to learn how to do divebombs and all that fun stuff) is I play upside down (low E is on the bottom) and if I bought a MM, I would have to bring it to a shop and get them to remove the nut and replace it.. I really don't feel like mangling a brand new EBMM when all I have to do is screw on a right handed locking nut and i'm done.

The one piece of advice I would offer you if you're looking to buy a seven string - make sure that it comes with pickups you're happy with. I had an Ibanez Apex 2 for a bit, fitted with DiMarzios. Didn't like them but the body was routed in such a way that you couldn't retrofit your choice of pickup without having to reroute and refinish too. So... just make sure you're sure before you buy or you get something that could be changed out easily.

So I've decided to go with the lefty Loomis 7 (bought and hopefully soon on it's way) I actually ordered the Hellraiser at first but cancelled because I just didn't like the look of it. So my next question is, I need to do some mods on this guitar. I play a right handed guitar upside down (low E is on the bottom) I already have a lefty Schecter 006 Elite modded like this, but with the tune o matic and the slight angle of the bridge, i can never get the bloody thing to properly intonate for me. I'm going to have to replace the locking nut with a right handed one (I thought this was the best route to go since it's just simple to unscrew one nut, screw in the new one, and my last bill for a new nut install was $80) I just need to find out the exact size of the nut I'm going to be replacing, because there are a few different sizes, and I can't spend like $40+ on a nut and it be the wrong size. I kinda wanted to have the new nut here and waiting, or at least ordered by the time my guitar got here. I really need to find the exact measurement, I wrote Schecter but they must be all gone for the holidays. So if anyone can help me out that'd be great.

Thank you so much! I would have believed 48mm or 1 7/8, but a picture, you rock! Thanks for your help, I can't wait to get it. Have a great Christmas, or holiday, as it seems to be the politically correct thing to say now.