Help me decide which 7 string to get

X14Halo

May 28, 2010
I am going to purchase my first 7 string soon. I have it down to 2 choices and I can't make up my mind...I'd love your input as to which you think is better.

First one is the Ola Englund Signature Solar 7
http://strictly7.com/ola-englund
Built on order with a 4 month wait. I was thinking the S series...which has Distortion pickups, but no binding or floyd rose. Or do you think Floyd rose and BKP Aftermaths are better?

Second one is the Schecter Jeff Loomis 7 string
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...earch-jeff-loomis-fr-7-string-electric-guitar

Please help me decide! Price is not really an issue, just wondering which is better.

edit:
here is another to add to the list...
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ibanez-rgd2127z-prestige-7-string-electric-guitar#review

Everyone will most likely tell you to go with the prestige. Its all about your personal preferences though.

The Loomis and Prestige both have a 26.5 inch scale length but the Ola sig has a 27.5 scale length. Do you like thick or skinny necks? Do you like Floyds?

It sucks being in a position when buying an expensive guitar because you really can't try them out first hand. I was in the same position looking for a 7 string a little while ago and I ended up snagging a SC607-b for $500 in excellent condition.

What style of music are you playing? Much lead/rhythm, preference for neck profile/thickness?

All 3 are very different guitars playability and tonality wise. If I had to choose I would go with the Solar 7 since it will have better build quality and stainless steel frets.

Playing mostly modern metal, and I switch it up alot between rhythm and lead. Right now my other guitars are a Schecter ATX Blackjack with Duncan Blackouts, and an ESP ec-1000 deluxe with EMG's. Just looking for something that will sound nice and clear, but still have a bit of aggression to it. Something that might be good to record with through my Axe-FX II into my computer through headphones.

Do you like the ebony board/active pickups on those guitars? I'd recommend the 2127 with a pickup change since it will have a very different tone compared to your current guitars. With the latest Axe update all 3 of those guitars will have no prob sounding clear.

I'm honestly not even sure how you can compare these 3.

You're comparing a hand made guitar to 2 mass produced guitars. The price difference between the Ibanez and the Strictly 7 isn't that big, and you're getting a much higher quality instrument IMO. I guess if you want the Floyd Rose, it's significantly more, but as your first 7 string, I think it's a better choice to go with something without a trem; I mean, if you plan on using it a lot, I guess it could be a deal breaker, but most people who have guitars with trems rarely use them for anything other than random guitar wankery.

You're still looking at upgrading pickups on the Ibanez, should you get it, since if you were considering upgrading the Strictly 7 to BKPs, I seriously doubt the Ibanez pickups will cut it for you; so that's another $250+ right there. At that price, you might as well be considering J-Customs; which would be much more comparable to the Strictly 7.

As far as the Schecter goes, they make cool guitars, but it's going to be a completely different feel from the other two. Schecter puts some pretty bulky necks on those things, and if you haven't been playing 7 strings long, it could completely turn you off from the idea of owning one again.