Strings for studio-recording?

ForHerDeadEyes

Señor Member
Jan 24, 2011
Sweden
I've used the sneap-search, the search here, and google..
People swear by different brands, most threads are old..

I'm looking for strings for studio recording only, no live play..
I think I've always used D'Addario.
Recently I've gone with D'Addario EXL148 (.012) which are a bit too thick.
Although I think I'll still use .012 on C-drops or lower.
I'm thinking about switching to .010 for regular E-tuning and D-drop.
And might go for 0.09 for solos..

I'm going to try out something else than what I usually use, wanting to get a better/differen sound.
I've been reading up on Round Wound, Ground Wound, Flat Wound, Nickel, Steel, Gold, Bright, Super-bright, Coated, Frozen.. battered and deep-fried..
My head's fucking spinning..

Not sure the D'Addarios have the right sound for what I want this time around, but think they work good on alternative and rock.. I'll be using passive pickups..

I thought I'd check what bands use; that I think have an okay sound:
Breaking Benjamin
- Ernie Ball guitar strings
- Dean Markley NickelSteel Electric strings (Custom Gauge)

Lacuna Coil
- Dean Markley Blue Steel strings (.010-.056) The low B on 7th string is .060 gauge.

Meshuggah
- Dunlop strings, Sizes 009-070
- DR strings (7th string gauged .052 and eight string .070)

Nevermore
- Ernie Ball strings (More recently 9-46+66. Also may have used 70 gauge on bottom and 10-52 for the other strings)

Papa Roach
- Dean Markley Blue Steel Electric Mediums and DT guitar strings

Slipknot
- D'Addario EXL117 electric guitar strings (11-56 gauge, as shown on D'Addario website)
- Ernie Ball Power Slinky sets

So, I'm none the wiser..
And who knows what the bands actually use in the end..

Recommendations? You who've tried different brands..
There's too many choices..
Tell_me_loki.gif

Circle K Strings - they are hybrid stainless steel and nickel steel strings and are offered in a range of different gauges. I recently tried a balanced tension set which plays and sounds amazing. The only downside to them are the shipping costs and the delivery time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Circle K Strings - they are hybrid stainless steel and nickel steel strings and are offered in a range of different gauges. I recently tried a balanced tension set which plays and sounds amazing. The only downside to them are the shipping costs and the delivery time.

Huge difference in the clip, they do sound really good..
But the price is too much.. :/
Not the string-sets, especially when buying them in bulk..
But shipping + tax + import fees = no can do..

I usually make my own sets out of singles. The tension is how I like it, I don't mind paying a little extra.

Also the new balanced sets people are making typically still suffer from the low E being too loose.

You're overthinking things. Appropriate gauge for the tuning/playing style, after that just stick to something solid like D'addario, Ernie Ball, etc.

Probably, it was just force of habit getting D'Addario..
AFAIK, I've never tried anything else, and not sure what material and stringshape would be best suited for a metal-tone, as opposed to Jazz like some strings claim to be..

I've stuck with Ernie Ball .10-.46 in Drop C for yeaaaaars. I guess, technically, that is too light of a gauge to be running at my tuning, but it works for me.

Really, find something YOU are comfortable with.

I've used Dean Markley Blue Steel Medium for years and later switched to Elixir Polyweb Medium but I like them both. They have the clarity for low tunings and they sound new for a long time, especially the Elixirs.
I tried out the Dunlop Zack Wylde Custom Heavy and D'addario EXP Jazz sets recently and I didn't like them at all.

I've used Dean Markley Blue Steel Medium for years and later switched to Elixir Polyweb Medium but I like them both. They have the clarity for low tunings and they sound new for a long time, especially the Elixirs.
I tried out the Dunlop Zack Wylde Custom Heavy and D'addario EXP Jazz sets recently and I didn't like them at all.

Ah, you reminded me that I used GHS Boomers for the 7-string I had..
Didn't like them..
DM Blue Steel might be something I'll try..