BEST STRINGS FOR DROP-C

s2c

Oct 6, 2007
Madeira - Portugal
www.myspace.com
Hey!
I'm using Ernie Ball Beefy Slinky Nickel Wound .011 - .054 but it seems to me that the 6th string (C in this case) is a bit to loose. What do you recommend. In this F***g Island where I live there is only one music store and they only sell D'Addario strings so....

Thanks

Try to find a set of Not Even Slinkys
Gauges are .12 .16 .24P .32 .44 .56. [taken from slinky's site] you mite consider ordering from online if possible, there are usually deals for bulk sets so you end up saving a bit of cash

what scale length is your guitar? Gibson scale is 24 3/4, fender scale is 25 1/2. Looks like you play on a Paul which is the short scale in which case I'd recommend going up a gauge. Big thing is to watch out for the nut slot cause if yer string gauge gets too big, you guessed it POP goes the nut!. You would have to reslot the nut to fit that size of string in which case you cant go back to the smaller slot without replacing it. I have been using D'Addario .11-.52 for my fender scale guitars in drop C and have also felt that the Low "C" is too loose feeling. I know that D"Addario will sell different individual strings, maybe purchase a few strings, .58-.60, in a thicker gauge and experiment. Also I have had DR strings custom make a 10 pack for me in whatever gauge I wanted and shipped them to a store near me. Who knows maybe if you contact them and their is no authorized dealer near you perhaps they will ship to you? I'd try the individual string thing first.

.11's for drop-c?
Dude, I used to use .11 in standard tuning for years. Seems it would be floppy as hell tuned down that much? I would definitely look at something like .12 or .13 for tuning lower.

.11's for drop-c?
Dude, I used to use .11 in standard tuning for years. Seems it would be floppy as hell tuned down that much? I would definitely look at something like .12 or .13 for tuning lower.

im tuned in drop C# and i use 10-46 Ernie Ball's and they seem perfect for my taste, so it doesnt necessarilly needs to be higher than .11
on topik i would recomend if he liked the Ernie;s also to go with the not even slinky ones. i had them and they were ok.

im tuned in drop C# and i use 10-46 Ernie Ball's and they seem perfect for my taste, so it doesnt necessarilly needs to be higher than .11
on topik i would recomend if he liked the Ernie;s also to go with the not even slinky ones. i had them and they were ok.

im in the same tuning with the same strings. perfect.

what strings would you recommend for a schecter c1 xxx guitar 25 1/2" scale in B standard? Right now i'm using 13-56 boomers but would like the bottom strings especially the low B a little thicker.

what strings would you recommend for a schecter c1 xxx guitar 25 1/2" scale in B standard? Right now i'm using 13-56 boomers but would like the bottom strings especially the low B a little thicker.

GHS makes a baritone set at 14-70. How's that for a little thicker?

My Dean is currently using those (but with a plain 24 instead of the wound 26) in anything from B to C# (depending on my mood) with a 24 3/4" scale. Sounds yummy.

Jeff

jesus. I think 70 might be a bit much and I like the treble strings the way they are now. I have to get my guitar set up for anything higher than 56 right now anyways because thicker strings wont fit on the little grooves on the bridge. I also had to file the nut to make the spaces bigger already. I do plan on getting it set up in the near future though. How much would really thick strings like that effect the tone? I like a more attacky tone. But I also want my guitar to stay in tune well and not have any intonation problems.

also, why get strings so thick for low tunings. I mean lots of people use 10's in standard and 56 would be the next one down from the low E if you know what I mean. Why go to 70?

Thicker strings have more tension, mainly, and some other properties come about because GHS strings of that thickness are compound-wound.

56 would NOT be the 'next one down' - if you look at a seven-string pack, it'll go 10-13-17-26-36-46-56... but seven-string packs suck horribly. The 46 is already too light to 'match' the rest of the strings (E will be about two pounds of tension shy of the A) and the 56 is even farther (about 5 pounds shy of the A) - you should replace the 46 with a 49 and the 56 with something between 60 and 65 if you actually want to 'match' the A string. If you want to go past that, then go to 70. It seems like a very big jump, but keep in mind that low strings need larger size changes to be noticeable - anyone can tell the difference between a 9 and an 11, but compare a 46 to a 48 and you're getting nowhere fast with most. I figure that if you're going to go heavy, you're going fucking heavy... I tend to take things to extremes, as some around here notice on occasion.

EDIT: If you weren't already fairly familiar with string gauge changes, thicker strings result in 'thicker' tone, different harmonic response because of the increased tension, and better tuning stability. You can then get away with hitting them harder (because they won't go sharp on harder attacks) and thus get higher dynamic range and more versatility. END EDIT

Jeff

I've been using the .11s for years. I'm not at drop C, but at C# standard and have never had a tension issue, no matter how fast I play. Great sound and great feel response from those Dean Markleys. For that tuning, its whats always worked perfect for me so I would suggest that to anyone who is close to the same tuning. Just my thoughts on it

well i'll definately need to get a new bridge,nut and tuning heads to accomodate the thick ass strings. Have any to recommend? I'm looking for maximum tuning stability.