Producing power metal tips?

DragonSagoth

New Metal Member
Jun 20, 2007
Hey guys, I'm new here. I'm 21 years old, play keyboards in Croatian power metal band Savage Harmony (www.savageharmony.com). I think for our first album effort we need some pro tips, and also I think you guys here could help a lot ^_^ So, here is our setup.

Vocals: listen the songs on the aforementioned site, the production quality is bad, but you can hear what to expect and what to do about it. The best produced track is Lost In Time)

Guitar: Ibanez Prestige S2075W, awesome guitar, tuned E currently (but for new songs will probably go down to D or drop C tuning), no FX board currently (planned buying of Rocktron Hush and TCE G Major next year). Amp is Hughes&Kettner Switchblade with H&K Vintage 30s 4x12 cab (sounds awesome as it is).

Bass: Ibanes SR Prestige 6 string with Bartolini active pickups. Goes through Eden Nemesis 320 W amp, amp's EQ are all at 0 and it sounds freaking awesome.

Keyboard: Korg X5D for now. I have some punchy Nightwish-like strings there, some good choirs and pads, great distorted lead etc. I will also use some awesome soundfonts for piano I found.

Drums: here's the problem. Since we have trouble finding a decent drummer, we use Boss DR-880 drum machine. I tweaked with it's samples and EQ-compressors and I think I finally got the right sound on it. I used some online advice for EQ and comp there.

So, now the questions. How to set up the bass sound for power metal on that amp? I think it sounds awesome now, but if someone has worked with this Nemesis amp, some nice tips for bass sound shaping (not too aggressive, not too smooth) would do nice. Guitar tone is really good and I think we will not need the help here (our guitarist has a really good pair of ears for finding his tone :D). What to do with keyboards etc?

After recording, how to mix it, general guidelines about EQ-compression setups, recommended FX setups for bass/vocals/additionally drums (chorus etc.), and then mastering I think we will do in a pro studio. Remember, all for power metal producing!

Any good tips will be highly appraised for. Thank you for helping us!

(BTW- the recordings you can hear at our site are all old, old band setup with different guitarist and keyboarder, depending on the songs. Also the songs changed in arrangements, but that's not the issue here.)

Switch the Ibanez out for a Schecter Hellraiser :)

That, & find a real drummer! If not available, you might want to look at DFHS...it should be a serious step up from that boss unit.

Best of luck with it!

-0z-

That Ibanez iz working amazingly sweet! It is customized and gives a very nice and smooth tone. It's all up to our guitarist, not me, to finally decide.

And the Boss unit is working quite fine when I polished it up, I'll try to find DFH somehow, but I think it will complicate things unnecessarily. And to find a capable drummer here is very hard thing, so we're stuck with what we have for now. Anyways, thanks for the tip!