Production Tips for Rap

Jun 22, 2009
St. Pete, Florida
I know there's people on here who have done rap.

What're some effects/ideas you could share?

Lately I've had a few rappers come in to record, and because of them, I have another 2 lined up for next week.

Examples:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1317792/KushSmokeGreat/Woke up_mixdown.mp3
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1317792/KushSmokeGreat/Imma Do Me_mixdown.mp3

Horrible way to word it, but I'm going for more of a "sellout"/"rap on the radio" sound. As, that is what they requested.

Any advice? Also, if anyone has recorded rappers in the past, I'd love to hear.

Well what I know for sure is pocket/edit the performances so they fit *perfectly* in the beat.

It'll give that tightness you really want to have.

Lots of compression on vocals, smash 'em. And check some threads on gearslutz, I read some good tips about that there once (though I've never mixed rap tbh, so I guess I can't help all that much).

Well what I know for sure is pocket/edit the performances so they fit *perfectly* in the beat.

It'll give that tightness you really want to have.

Lots of compression on vocals, smash 'em. And check some threads on gearslutz, I read some good tips about that there once (though I've never mixed rap tbh, so I guess I can't help all that much).

The dude in the examples, for the most part, had GREAT timing.
Even when he was high as fuck.

Most tracks were recorded and doubled on 1st/2nd try. And I didn't have to do much editing.

Although, I've had people that need to record in small small small parts due to them not being able to hold their breath.

When I record rap I dont double track all vocals, only parts for emphasis and chorus's. I try and cut vocals to the beat and on the double's try and make them match up with the main vocal track. Then its just a matter of finding the effects you like. Effects wise I think u have already got it sounding pretty crisp. Then just edit and dont be afraid to try all types of different effects (only for certain parts, think of it like throwing in guitar solo's cause there is not much else u can do on hip hop)

man the simple answer is to get high as fuck and then mix it :Smokin::Smokin:

I tracked vocals on my mates rap project for uni couple of months ago, i got him double track his vocals using it to emphasis vocals in the chorus's, build ups, etc.

De-esser, bit of compression, limited to shit, then EQ'd to fit. Then for one bit ran it back through my guitarist distortion pedal to get a distroted vocal blending it with loads of delay to help it emphasis a bit of a build up.

you have alot of creatve chose with rap/hip-hop you can cut things up and put unusual effects on things.

Personally id compress the vocal abit more and limited everything in the track so nothing gets louder than the vocals in the mix.

Also man tht kid says my pals to much!

He doesnt even sound black!

He sounds about 5, my sister sounds harder than him.

Vox have too much reverb and delay. Add some pre-delay and dial it down
Also add a little low mids

I thought rappers were suppose to be smart and witty and also literate. Im pretty sure that kid said "I'm more better"

Besides his boring voice and being incapable of not saying "NIGGUH" every line, i think its a pretty good mix! I agree with some of the opinions already mentioned. The vocals stand out a little too much, compress them to shit! Even turn them down a little. I also think it sounds pretty good with double tracked vocals.

Oh, and a little less reverb/delay

this is a heavy metal forum (it says in the title).
maybe there are tips for rap in the ultimate rap forum.

sorry, somebody had to say it...,)

Tips for Rap sessions:
There's a good chance all you'll have to do is record some vocals over an mp3. Most of my experience working with hip-hop has been that.
I always do this:
Lead vocal all the way through.
double it. (both mono, center) this track lower than the lead, its just for thickness. Same track settings on this and the lead. This should be tight. Some guys can do it better than others, last guy I worked with was great.
Lo-fi effect with a widening delay (mono in, stereo out. Left side off, right side 12ms, 100%wet) for the Hype vocals track.
Output all to a bus.
Duplicate the bus, compress heavily (parallel compression)

A bit of reverb on all the tracks for polish.

Ozone on the master.
Profit $$$

Make this your template and you've got very little to do but have a good time making $ on an easy job.

this is a heavy metal forum (it says in the title).
maybe there are tips for rap in the ultimate rap forum.

sorry, somebody had to say it...,)

Don't answer in the fucking thread if you don't give a flying fuck about it.

What's the point in being a goddamned close-minded fucker and not contributing at all in a thread in which you most definitely had no interest in?

edit: damn, might have been a little harsh, but at least I guess my point will come across

Don't answer in the fucking thread if you don't give a flying fuck about it.

What's the point in being a goddamned close-minded fucker and not contributing at all in a thread in which you most definitely had no interest in?

edit: damn, might have been a little harsh, but at least I guess my point will come across

Dont worry, I was thinking about reponding with the same response, but I decided not to be a total dick. Thanks for doing it for me. :D

Don't overcompress the vocals. It works in metal/rock but it just doesnt work the same in rap. Ive had better results from compressing about half as much as I normally would and then using volume automation to get the rest of the way there.

Here are some raps my bandmates and I did for fun:
http://www.myspace.com/thedataheads

The song This Is What We Do had less compression and used volume automation and I am happiest with that vocal sound. The other songs were overcompressed vocal wise to get an even level.

Also man tht kid says my pals to much!

He doesnt even sound black!

He sounds about 5, my sister sounds harder than him.

+5000, he sounds white. Not that that's a bad thing... but using "nigga" in a non-joking way when you're white is a sure-fire way to get shot :loco:

As far as mixing goes, I have no idea. If he didn't say "nigga" every 5 seconds, the songs might actually be decent. It sounds like you're on the right track though, production-wise.