Russell

__
Jul 15, 2001
The starry attic
www.russellgarwood.co.uk
Gizeh Records Round-up
Gizeh Records – GZH12GZH14 – 2006
By Russell Garwood

Gizeh Records, based in Leeds, UK, have been signing underground British metal for a while. Their hard work has clearly paid off, as this is some of the best stuff emanating from these shores in quite a while.

Profane – The Day We Scorched The Sky

Pn.jpg

Manchester’s Profane hit my player first, with their debut The Day We Scorched The Sky. These guys are pissed off. Well, some of the time, at others they are as placid and tranquil as a sloth on a cocktail of temazepam, chlordiazepoxide and alprazolam. To describe the music is tricky, as the band move through a huge variety of styles over the course of this thirty-something minute outing. So, we’ve established that they are the musical equivalent of a pissed off bipolar with multiple personality disorder, but that doesn’t really help. A lot of the music is metalcore, with emo tinges. Visceral screaming, coupled with fragile singing drives home that comparison, but some of the guitar work is pure metal. Prominent bass provides atmosphere on occasions, its jazzy/funky approach echoed by clean guitars, but it is usually heavy and powerful. Some of the more technical moments remind me of the Between The Buried And Me school of metalcore, albeit a more accessible variety, and it is at these moments that the tight drumming really shines through. Quieter refrains, such as that 3 minutes into ’Like Branding Cattle’ even sound vaguely reminiscent of post rock.

This all makes for a thoroughly absorbing and constantly enjoyable release, with real emotional depth. The well structured songs shine as a result of good quality production, and the minimalistic artwork is a perfect contrast to the schizophrenically active music. Even those who are not usually fans of metalcore will find elements to appreciate in The Day We Scorched The Sky.

7/10

Immune – 1/f

In.jpg

1/f defies even the vague categorization I tried to give Profane. I reviewed – and grew to really like – the Immune’s debut EP in 2003, so when their new album dropped through my letterbox I couldn’t wait to get listening. And afterwards, just like a sloth temazepam, chlordiazepoxide and alprazolam, I was very happy (what? Everyone knows sloths love the downers). The sound is metallic, yet has lots of rockier moments, and makes regular use of electronics, piano, brass, cello and viola, amongst a great variety of instruments. Occasional passages are reminiscent of Tool, yet it is clear a large number of musicians acted as inspiration.

The vocals are sung, being reminiscent of Maynard’s, and show great diversity and good range. The guitars are melodic and balanced between clean and distorted tones, while the bass is carries a lot of the songs with its strong lines. Drums deal with changing dynamics admirably. But what makes this such a successful release is the fact the songs are so well written. While progressive they hold your attention throughout, and for such a young band this is impressive. Without the maturity on display, the kaleidoscopic moods would seem disjointed and ineffective, yet Immune manage to make them into a psychedelic journey. One perhaps (yeah, you guessed it – should I stop this now?) a sloth on temazepam, chlordiazepoxide and alprazolam may experience. 1/f is an impressive debut.

7.5/10

With these two releases Gizeh have proved that UK metal is (unlike a sloth on temazepam, chlordiazepoxide and alprazolam, hohoho) alive and kicking (just in case there were any doubts), and they have picked two very impressive young acts to drive that point home. I look forward to hearing more from the label.

UM’s Review Rating Scale

Official Profane website
Official Immune website
Official Gizeh website

not sure if 7.5 can justify how good this album is. I am on about my 3rd listen and i think on listen one may be a 7.5 but listen two i have to say is an 8 and listen 3 an 8.5. It seems to me this getts better and better with time!
or maybe its just me. cant comment on profane as i aint heard them.

wecuucus said:
not sure if 7.5 can justify how good this album is. I am on about my 3rd listen and i think on listen one may be a 7.5 but listen two i have to say is an 8 and listen 3 an 8.5. It seems to me this getts better and better with time!
or maybe its just me. cant comment on profane as i aint heard them.

Bear in mind UM's rating scale. 7.5 is actually pretty high, especially from me. The highest I've ever given away is 8.5 (once), and I've only given eight a couple more, so 7.5 is pretty damn good.