Prog-core! Lend me your EARS!

I'm kind of new at this, so take this for what it's worth: I find the bass drum is a little overpowering on the speakers I'm listening on (Very bass heavy). I would also probably lower the snare some as I find it overpowers the guitars during the blast sections. The guitar tone sounds a little weak to me, but that may very well change when the bass is recorded. I hope this helps but I'm no expert on this subject so hopefully others can offer their insight. The band sounds awesome by the way, I'm definitely interested in the final product!!

Cheers guys!
Yeah the guitars are pruposely like that, I want the bass to carry the lows, and the band wanted more of that opeth watershed guitar vibe. I intended on using 6505 sim, but they were happy this way, and I am too, adding the bass should help heaps :)

And Snare and bass drum will be brought down thanks :)

Cool dude, I kind of figured as much! I'm really looking forward to hearing more of this, those riffs were really nice. :)
I'm gonna listen to it again on my monitors (which still suck but they are better than my gaming PC's speakers) and see if my opinion changes/stays the same.

Sounds good! But you could add more attack to the snare. The guitars could have also less mids but not too much.

Ok, I went back and listened on my monitors to see if my other speakers were throwing me off. The guitars definitely sound much better on my monitors and should sound pretty sweet with the bass. The snare and bass drum also sound better now, I'm not sure if I'd touch them until the bass has been added, and even then maybe only add a little more attack? Sorry if I threw you off earlier, I should have listened to it proper before giving my opinion. :erk:

By the way, what gear are you using to record this?

Ok to answer a few questions and suggestetions.

@Snare & Bass drum: I'll leave the bass drum for now until the bass goes in, but the snare will be dropped by a little but I'll EQ it for a little more attack bucause I too agree during the 1/8 notes it's too dull, but during the blast beats its overbearing. Maybe some compression??? The sample is only 25% compared to the natural unedited sound

@Signal chain: Ibanez rg (Stock INF pickups, absolutely horrible) -> Behringer TS-8 (My proper OD is hard wired to my rack lol, so I used the shitty one) --> Mark IV --> Record out --> Presonus Firebox --> Poidaobi High pres impulse. Then high/ low pass and some cuts at 190hz, 450hz, 880hz and a small bost at about 2500hz.

The rest is addictive drums with drumagog over the bass drum for a little click and sneap snare over the original snare for that nice SMACK. And that's pretty much it.

I'll be DI'ing the bass which will be warwick thumb I believe into SVX and the di will just have some distortion and comp/eq but we will see what happens when that gets done.

@Ermz: Nah, the vocals probably won't be recorded by me but they will be mixed by me. THe vocalist and I DON'T get on at all... that's putting it lightly lol, long story there, but mainly, its because he is still working on his vocals, im still willing to record him because its work you know, but the rest of the band feel hge's not ready. So for now its going to be only instrumental.

I'll post up the mix with bass next week.

Cheers guys!

Great work, Chris. It's getting my Opeth/blackdeath boner on. You've given them a bit of that prog/doom sound, where things are sounding thick, yet at the same time a little raw.

I've got a few days off so if you wanna swing those multitracks over, I'd love to have yet another mix to try the CLA plug-ins out on.

I think the drums are getting kinda lost, because of the raw sound and they're kinda low in the mix. Raise them in volume perhaps (but not the cymbals, just the drums)?

Also that one tom is really out-of-place. The one thats like 30% right. Sounds REALLY clicky and compressed, way moreso than any of the others (which sound awesome).

Guitars could use a slight low-mid cut, not sure where. Maybe 250Hz? But I'm really just guessing.

Cheers guys and thanks for the feedback, and also confirming some of the things I was already thinking. Yes drums need maybe just a db or so raise, I felt that at mixdown but by the time I uploaded i was like feck it, if they notice it too then sweet XD

The 250hz guitar cut, well thats funny :p I actually boosted about 1.5db in that area to thicken them up when my bass tone was shitting me, so now it's neccessary to pull them back a bit. The tom about 30% to the right is the first tom I think, it was shitting me up the wall, I guess ill go back to it and fix that :)

2 things though... The band isn't too keen on the bass tone and wants the track louder... Any ideas???

Cheers again guys, your help is much appreciated!