Prog Freaks Anonymous

S4R

gooey
Sep 7, 2001
.il.us
Rush, The Flower Kings, Dream Theater, Genesis, King Crimson, Pain of Salvation, Spock's Beard, etc. etc. Lay it on me, what are some of your favorite prog bands? (of course I leave you to your definition of progressive)

right now i've been listening to a lot of green carnation and maudlin of the well. i also have always been a fan of such prog-metal bands like symphony-x and zero hour. on the prog rock front i've been listening to sinkadus and rush alot.

Genesis, Dream Theater, Yes....Definately the best.
I just recently got into Genesis' "Selling England By The Pound" and it is probably one of my at least top 10 favorite albums now. That album is so amazing, anyone here should check that album out. Some songs that I would suggest are:
The Battle Of Epping Forest
Dancing With the Moonlit Knight
Firth of Fifth

Three best songs out of 7 off that album, in my opinion.

I like Children of Bodom, if they are considered Prog.

I never really thought aobut this, because it isnt very true. I would definately NOT consider Children of Bodom a prog band, but I see now that they have a prog element to them that i never noticed.

I see now that they have a prog element to them that i never noticed.

A quote from the COB website under "the band" link:

"Describing or categorizing the music of Children Of Bodom is difficult. It's a bizarre mixture of classic 80's heavy (WASP, Ozzy Osbourne, Judas Priest) and melodic, pompous power metal (Helloween, Stratovarius), lots of neo-classical guitar-heroism (Randy Rhoads, Yngwie Malmsteen, Steve Vai), some trash (Stone) and death metal (early Sentenced) with barking, screamed vocals. Also lots of classical music influences can be heard both in the guitars and keyboards."

Actually, it was more for my own information than anything else, but since they are so difficult to categorize, I thought posting the COB description would be most accurate, not to mention informative for the people that are interested.

Originally posted by Demonspell
Anyone who thinks Children Of Boredom has prog tendencies needs to be shot and dragged under a truck on the spot...

again:

"Describing or categorizing the music of Children Of Bodom is difficult. It's a bizarre mixture of classic 80's heavy (WASP, Ozzy Osbourne, Judas Priest) and melodic, pompous power metal (Helloween, Stratovarius), lots of neo-classical guitar-heroism (Randy Rhoads, Yngwie Malmsteen, Steve Vai), some trash (Stone) and death metal (early Sentenced) with barking, screamed vocals. Also lots of classical music influences can be heard both in the guitars and keyboards."

What makes progressive "progressive"? You make your own judgment...

Well I would only include a faint prog element. Mostly evident on their first album with tracks like In the Shadows, and The Nail; both of which seem to take a strange structure and feeling some what similar to prog.

I don't have much experience in the prog category, but the good bands in it are absolutely incredible. Faves:

Anekdoten
Sinkadus
Anglagard
Kopecky
TrephineMD
Mostly Autumn
John Edmonds
Camel

I am really getting into rush these days. Permanent Waves is awesome, especially Natural Science. I just got Hemispheres the other day. That one is great too. Can anyone tell me if Cygnus part 1 is much like part 2?

Children of Boredom... :lol: their only "proog" moment was on the first album where they ripped off Mozart.

My prog favourites...
umnik.gif

King Crimson
Gentle Giant
Univers Zero
Jethro Tull
Genesis
Camel
Peter Hammill/Van Der Graaf Generator
Henry Cow/Art Bears
Yes
Happy The Man
Gong
Tangerine Dream
Devil Doll
Anekdoten
Anglagard
Art Zoyd
Gryphon

and of course, Opeth!

D Mullholand

I've been listening to Rush, Yes and Camel recently, myself. On the metal front, I recently purchased the Maudlin of the Well double-releases.

What Genesis albums would the local proggers reccommend?

Incidentally, I really liked (and still do) the Children of Bodom song "Towards Dead End", which I think is pretty fucking crazy. Unfortuantely, their three albums all sound pretty much the same and I find it hard to listen to too many CoB tracks consecutively 'cause, well, it gets boring fast.