Prog

Alex78

Fretbuzz Virtuoso
Jul 12, 2002
Germany
Visit site
Hi!

Seems like many of you listen to Prog Rock, too. As until now, I only listen to Camel and King Crimson, can you give me some suggestions which bands "to get"?. I mean, there are enough prog bands I know, like Spocks Beard or Arena, but I don't like their Neo-Prog sound.
thanks.....

alex:)

....LOVE Dream Theater and Blind Guardian...

...Symphony X

ohh, I almost forgot, Nocturnal Rites....although they're more prog power metal....still good

Alex? You don't have any Yes albums? They are the grand masters of prog man! 2 albums to check out are Relayer and Close to the Edge, prog masterpieces from the early 70's that still makes today's prog (ie. Dream Theatre) seem simple and primative.

Satori

well, everyone will recommend you the famous prog rock/metal bands...i'll give you something different. this is a turkish prog metal band. they received 5/5 from metal hammer (thats not very important, but it's still something): comma.
my recommendation for a song will be:
comma - solid trance
and comma - never betray.

solid trance is an instrumental.

Because Satori.. so many people love their prog-burger with cheese! I don't know... just like any other genre only about five percent of the bands in the progressive genre are truly amazing.

There is not a thing cheesy about Pain of Salvation, Anglagard or Anekdoten though.

Though I love Yes they DEFINETLY have their cheesy moments... or maybe just a cheesy decades.. Heh.

Brandon

The REALLY cheesy ones are rather power metal than prog, aren't they? By the way, I bought a Pain Of Salvation album today since a lot of you praise that band... haven't had a full listen to it yet, though.

WTF? Bathory is prog now?

anyways, i could read off a bunch of bands that you should now, or i could just tell you to get some arcturus (their first album Aspera Hiems Symfonia is symphonic black metal, but still good). However, Alex 78, if you've already heard of arcturus then just smack me silly for mentioning it.

My god I can't believe these havn't been mentioned....
Genesis- their 70's period, albums like Selling England By the Pound, The Lamb Lays Down on Broadway, Trick of the Tail, basically anything before Duke
Yes
Gentle Giant

i have to second the reccomendation of satori and others... get Yes' "close to the edge" and, to a lesser but very worthy extent, "relayer."

Yes' other work is rather, umm, "spotty" hehe, but those two works are progressive masterpieces that any fan of the genre should hear. Blows away most everything "composed" today, heh.

just wanted to make a statement.

dream theater is spelled dream theatER not theatre ;)

and check out
transatlantic
explorer's club
liquid tension expiriment