Prog-metal track feat. 5150III->Mills and Orange cabs

Nolly

Apr 24, 2009
Bath, UK
Hi Guys,

My band Red Seas Fire have been working on our debut release for what seems like forever, and while we're very close, unfortunately there are a few things preventing us from finishing it before this Summer (mainly the logistics of recording vocals). However, we decided to put out one of the tracks in instrumental form, which you can hear here:

Red Seas Fire

The track was recorded with my Dæmoness custom 7-string, using a Bare Knuckle Rebel Yell in the bridge throughout. Guitar tracks were reamped by the awesome Eduardo Apolonia (www.myspace.com/eduardoapolonia) with a 5150III through Mills and Orange 4x12s, both mic'd with SM57s.
Apart from Eduardo's excellent contributions, the track is entirely self produced, mixed and mastered.

Hope you enjoy!

Fucking lush. Love how distinctly 'professional' the guitars sound, great presence on them and they sound very harmonically complex and rich for how low things are tuned! Any boost used in this?

There's a bit of weirdness in the high-midrange of it all but I'm 90% sure that's MP3 compression, since it's in the cymbals and kick/snare, too.

Thank you guys!
Jeff, I'm pretty sure it's boosted, but I'll have to check with Eduardo to find out what pedal he used. Thanks again with your help throughout the process :)
Ratsapprentice, I love the Dæmoness! Dylan is an awesome luthier and has become a good friend. I have two (a 6 and a 7), with another on the way (LP-style). Both sound phenomenal and play like butter.
This is the 7-string we used on this track:

IMG_4424.jpg

And this is the 6-string:

IMG_0366.jpg

Sounds great to me. That part that begins at 0.45 is fucking awesome, both the riff and the drumming.

That 6string looks awesome...well except from the color ;). Got any more pics?

Thanks fellas! Although we were after a modern sound, we also wanted a slightly organic and earthy vibe to it, so I'm heartened to hear the "feel" is right even if the mix has its imperfections (does a perfect mix even exist?! :) )

Drum software/samples, processing. Your mastering chain. That kind of stuff.

Okidokes! Sod it, may as well go through each part :) :

Drum samples are all from Superior 2.0, though I have borrowed from several different libraries, namely the Avatar, Metal Foundry, Evil Drums and Allaire kits. The parts were played in on a Roland TD10 E-kit.
I do all of the processing on the drums outside Superior, mainly using Stillwell Audio plugins - the Rocket, Event Horizon and Major Tom get a lot of use, alongside the stock Logic EQ, compressor and Space Designer reverb.

Guitars were tracked with an Axe-FX Ultra for monitoring, while DIs were run through an Audient MiCo pre. We tried to keep takes as naturally tight as possible to prevent things sounding over-edited.
As mentioned previously, Eduardo Apolonia did our reamps. He was an absolute champ, sending me tons of tests with different amps, settings, cabs and mics until something hit the spot (all were phase aligned so they could be blended). We ended up with the 5150III running through Mills and Orange 4x12s, both mic'd with SM57s. The final tone is about 75% Mills, with the Orange adding some thickness.
I used fairly minimal processing on the guitars - just LP/HP and a few bands of notching for EQ, a touch of compression, and a smidge of stereo widening.

Bass is Ampeg SVX blended with a heavily processed DI (EQ/Comp/Saturation). The bass used was a J-bass-style custom MacIntyre that used to belong to James Leach of SikTh.

There are lots of synth and electro effect layers, mostly made with Massive, Reason and lots of manual cutting up of drum samples for the glitchy beats.

The MB chain is all Stillwell - a 1973 EQ, a Rocket compressor, Bombardier compressor, then a couple of instances of the Event Horizon for the loudness.

Hope that helps!

That 6string looks awesome...well except from the color ;). Got any more pics?

Sure thing, check this photobucket folder and its enclosed subfolders to see some of the build process as well as the finished thing: http://s253.photobucket.com/albums/hh76/Nollythegreat/Daemoness 6er/

I'll link a few more for those that don't want to trawl though:

IMG_0362.jpg

IMG_0365.jpg

IMG_0368.jpg

IMG_0375.jpg

Okidokes! Sod it, may as well go through each part :) :

Drum samples are all from Superior 2.0, though I have borrowed from several different libraries, namely the Avatar, Metal Foundry, Evil Drums and Allaire kits. The parts were played in on a Roland TD10 E-kit.
I do all of the processing on the drums outside Superior, mainly using Stillwell Audio plugins - the Rocket, Event Horizon and Major Tom get a lot of use, alongside the stock Logic EQ, compressor and Space Designer reverb.

Guitars were tracked with an Axe-FX Ultra for monitoring, while DIs were run through an Audient MiCo pre. We tried to keep takes as naturally tight as possible to prevent things sounding over-edited.
As mentioned previously, Eduardo Apolonia did our reamps. He was an absolute champ, sending me tons of tests with different amps, settings, cabs and mics until something hit the spot (all were phase aligned so they could be blended). We ended up with the 5150III running through Mills and Orange 4x12s, both mic'd with SM57s. The final tone is about 75% Mills, with the Orange adding some thickness.
I used fairly minimal processing on the guitars - just LP/HP and a few bands of notching for EQ, a touch of compression, and a smidge of stereo widening.

Bass is Ampeg SVX blended with a heavily processed DI (EQ/Comp/Saturation). The bass used was a J-bass-style custom MacIntyre that used to belong to James Leach of SikTh.

There are lots of synth and electro effect layers, mostly made with Massive, Reason and lots of manual cutting up of drum samples for the glitchy beats.

The MB chain is all Stillwell - a 1973 EQ, a Rocket compressor, Bombardier compressor, then a couple of instances of the Event Horizon for the loudness.

Hope that helps!

Awesome reply, 'cause I have no further questions. Gotta check those Stillwell plugins out, might widen my horizons a bit. Thanks a million dude :)
Love the Periphery-ness S2.0 can give, but this is in my opinion better than Bulb's stuff for sure.

No worries duder. Yeah, definitely check out the Stillwell stuff, you can download completely unrestricted evaluation versions of their plugins from their site.

I love your mix and how natural it sounds!
Definitely have to try out those Stillwell plugins. They look extremely promissing!
:eek: Do the explanations on the website fit or are they very exaggerated?

Cheers mate! I personally think the descriptions are fairly spot on, but download the trial versions and judge for yourself! :)