Prog

i like Dream Theater, it's just that people seem to want to dislike them for all sorts of made up reasons.. DT's music is not complicated or masturbatory - it's very easy listening. i find myself humming along with entire albums, drumming with my fingers.

what makes something progressive? do you have to throw away your albums the next day because it's not progressive anymore?

I gave up on that genre labelling long time ago, didn't really make sense to me. I think Steffen Brandt is onto something when he insists his music is pop when asked, as in popular music. They also present themselves as Denmarks most boring orchestra, since that was what some reporter wrote years ago,

I like some kinds of prog, but there are some bands in the genre (Spiral Architect, Symphony X) that I cannot stand.

I think the reason why many people don't like Dream Theater is the singer's voice. I have to admit that it took me a long time to get used to it.
I do listen to a lot of bands that consider themselves 'prog' that other people wouln't necessarily put then into that genre, such as Porcupine Tree, Rush or Amphoteric.

prog rock is a bit sad in a way. though it must have its place cos loads of people have played it. people called floyd 'prog' but i dont reckon. yes? no thanks!

Andy_2003 said:
Danny, what category is anathema in now? do you know? alternative rock? kinda like alternative 4

MFN say theyre 'emotional indie rockers' so it must be true. Record labels have special powers you know! They invent the words that you all follow o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

How do you describe the latest Anathema stuff then?

Duncan, when you were doing Alternative 4 and up to releasing it did you still feel like it was metal and that you were in a metal band?
And Anathema's latest stuff, well alternative 4 and judgement I'd make my own genre and call it 'fucking classy rock' nah but really, erm, alternative rock, I guess... and a fine day to exit to i think, i even read someone describing AFDTE as nu metal! lol not quite i think